Anhinga

  • roue20ca@yahoo.ca
    Message 1 of 147 , Nov 14, 2001
      I noticed two posting recently which mention the sharpie Anhinga, I
      am very interested in this vessel and would like to find
      out any info I can. What I do know is obtain from a posting in
      Launchings of July/Aug 1989 issue of Wooden Boat, its not
      much LOA 23'3", double ended, water ballasted and cat rig. The
      posting refered to a boat called Sandy Bottoms which had
      been modified to include a small mizzen and step-fins, based on the
      picture it looks like a big Windsprint with a jibheaded
      (marconi or bermudian) main instead of the balanced lug. Can anyone
      direct me to more info about this vessel (Anhinga or
      a variation on the original)?

      Thanks

      Andy Moore
      Message 147 of 147 , Oct 11, 2009
        On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 6:53 PM, nonews35 <nonews35@...> wrote:

        > Have any Ahingas been built except the Sandy Bottoms one? Is the hull the same as BirdWatcher of is it slab sided? I'm looking to go with something like that or maybe a Martha Jane.
        >
        > Also, I like the idea of a lateen rig also like Zephyr so you can tow the boat to the nearby launch ramp fully rigged it the mast is short enough. Any ideas? I think you could make the mast 11' long and still be OK most places. The Zephyr mast is only 9' the Martha Janes is a bit too high.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Jeff

        The Sandy Bottoms is the only Anhinga built that I have heard about.
        The Anhinga is a remarkable design in that it is a spare, simple,
        'big' boat. I think it might make sense if what you want is a very
        easily achieved (quick build) trailerable 'oar power auxillary' camp
        cruiser.