[bolger] Re: DEAD SEA SCROLLS FOUND!

  • Giuseppe 'Pippo' Bianco
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2000
      Chuck
      Happy 2000 to you and to the list! I had a nice party last night at home
      with family and relatives, with two US colleagues who joined us since
      they're here in Italy for business.
      Chuck, thanks a lot for your efforts in making such nice stuff available
      to all of us. You should be still awake at this time, aren't you?
      Again, thanks, and best of all

      Pippo

      Chuck Merrell ha scritto:

      > Hello all, and Happy 2000!
      >
      > While cleaning out some of the twentieth century debris to make room for the
      > twenty-first century debris, I ran across a file of pre-Internet newsletters
      > of twelve years ago, called "The Instant Boatbuilder". It was sort of like
      > discovering "The Dead Sea Scrolls" of our group, and was published by a
      > boat dreamer named Jeff Hull (in real life a pediatrician) in Corpus
      > Christi, Texas. He'd bought a set of "Martha Jane" plans from Elrow, and
      > caught up in the wonder of his new obsession decided to put out a monthly
      > newsletter. The effort lasted a total of nine issues and died. Apparently
      > he came up for air and realized that he could either be a kid doctor or
      > publisher/boatbuilder, but not both.
      >
      > The historically significant thing about the seventy some pages that were
      > contained in the nine newsletters was that Jeff went out and solicited
      > material for content from other boat nuts and guru's around the country.
      > Anyway, in the pages are contributions by Bolger, Dynamite, Yours truly,
      > Bernie Wolfard, Jim Michalak (before he sold plans about the time he built
      > the prototype Birdwatcher, also an interesting article by him of how to
      > build a Gloucester Light Dory using Instant Boat Techniques, see issue #7),
      > Dave Carnell, Bob and Sheila Wise, et al. There's even some deathless prose
      > from Charles Stout, of long-micro fame. The pages contain some sophomoric
      > treatment of various subjects and some inaccuracy too, but there are a few
      > good tips along the way, a good bit of content of interest to Micro builders
      > and from a historical standpoint, it's all quite interesting if not valuable
      > (and like all efforts of this nature, it gets better as the publication got
      > older).
      >
      > In any case, I've archived them in .pdf files on Private Postings (about
      > 500K each). It's pretty sure that not more than forty people in the world
      > have ever seen this content. "Private Postings" URL is below. Click #9 on
      > the list of archives.
      >
      > http://members.xoom.com/_XOOM/merrellc1/
      >
      > ***********************************
      > CHUCK MERRELL
      > MERRELL WATERCRAFT
      > P. O. Box 80264
      > Seattle, WA 98108-0264
      > (206) 764-1298
      > Email: chuck@...
      > Web Site: http://www.boatdesign.com
      > **********************************

      > FreeLotto.com is the only internet site to offer three free chances
      >
      > a day to win $1,000,000.00. We've already had two $1,000,000.00
      >
      > jackpot winners and thousands of other cash prizes. You could be
      >
      > a $1,000,000.00 winner tonight!

      > -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/bolger/?m=1
    • Donald Hodges
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2000
        Chuck, what a find! I do a monthly volunteer newsletter (unrelated stuff)
        and can appreciate the effort involved in these nine issues. I printed four
        of them before I could tear away to post this note, will get the rest later.

        Hint to those printing pdf's: use the printer icon in the Acrobat Reader
        frame - it assures that the formatting inherent in pdf files is preserved.
        Strange results sometimes when printing pdf's from a browser.

        Don Hodges
        dhodges@...
        http://www.ecoastlife.com
        Your Cyber-Vacation - Loafing on the Emerald Coast
        Small Boats, Building, Fishing, Paddling, Rowing, Sailing
        > While cleaning out some of the twentieth century debris to make room for
        the
        > twenty-first century debris, I ran across a file of pre-Internet
        newsletters
        > of twelve years ago, called "The Instant Boatbuilder". It was sort of
        like
        > discovering "The Dead Sea Scrolls" of our group, and was published by a
        > boat dreamer named Jeff Hull (in real life a pediatrician) in Corpus
        > Christi, Texas. He'd bought a set of "Martha Jane" plans from Elrow, and
        > caught up in the wonder of his new obsession decided to put out a monthly
        > newsletter. The effort lasted a total of nine issues and died.
        Apparently
        > he came up for air and realized that he could either be a kid doctor or
        > publisher/boatbuilder, but not both.
        >
        > The historically significant thing about the seventy some pages that were
        > contained in the nine newsletters was that Jeff went out and solicited
        > material for content from other boat nuts and guru's around the country.
        > Anyway, in the pages are contributions by Bolger, Dynamite, Yours truly,
        > Bernie Wolfard, Jim Michalak (before he sold plans about the time he built
        > the prototype Birdwatcher, also an interesting article by him of how to
        > build a Gloucester Light Dory using Instant Boat Techniques, see issue
        #7),
        > Dave Carnell, Bob and Sheila Wise, et al. There's even some deathless
        prose
        > from Charles Stout, of long-micro fame. The pages contain some sophomoric
        > treatment of various subjects and some inaccuracy too, but there are a few
        > good tips along the way, a good bit of content of interest to Micro
        builders
        > and from a historical standpoint, it's all quite interesting if not
        valuable
        > (and like all efforts of this nature, it gets better as the publication
        got
        > older).
        >
        > In any case, I've archived them in .pdf files on Private Postings (about
        > 500K each). It's pretty sure that not more than forty people in the world
        > have ever seen this content. "Private Postings" URL is below. Click #9
        on
        > the list of archives.
        >
        > http://members.xoom.com/_XOOM/merrellc1/
        >
        > ***********************************
        > CHUCK MERRELL
        > MERRELL WATERCRAFT
        > P. O. Box 80264
        > Seattle, WA 98108-0264
        > (206) 764-1298
        > Email: chuck@...
        > Web Site: http://www.boatdesign.com
        > **********************************

        > FreeLotto.com is the only internet site to offer three free chances
        > a day to win $1,000,000.00. We've already had two $1,000,000.00
        > jackpot winners and thousands of other cash prizes. You could be
        > a $1,000,000.00 winner tonight!

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/bolger/?m=1

      • David Beede
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2000
          Chuck,
          Thanks for the great resource. I printe them out and ring bound
          them. I hope I'll be able to tell what the now questionable advice is;-)

          thanks for going to the trouble of posting them.
          Davidh

          Chuck Merrell wrote:

          > Hello all, and Happy 2000!

          While cleaning out some of the twentieth century debris to make room for the
          twenty-first century debris, I ran across a file of pre-Internet newsletters
          of twelve years ago, called "The Instant Boatbuilder". It was sort of like
          discovering "The Dead Sea Scrolls" of our group, and was published by a
          boat dreamer named Jeff Hull (in real life a pediatrician) in Corpus
          Christi, Texas. He'd bought a set of "Martha Jane" plans from Elrow, and
          caught up in the wonder of his new obsession decided to put out a monthly
          newsletter. The effort lasted a total of nine issues and died. Apparently
          he came up for air and realized that he could either be a kid doctor or
          publisher/boatbuilder, but not both.

          The historically significant thing about the seventy some pages that were
          contained in the nine newsletters was that Jeff went out and solicited
          material for content from other boat nuts and guru's around the country.
          Anyway, in the pages are contributions by Bolger, Dynamite, Yours truly,
          Bernie Wolfard, Jim Michalak (before he sold plans about the time he built
          the prototype Birdwatcher, also an interesting article by him of how to
          build a Gloucester Light Dory using Instant Boat Techniques, see issue #7),
          Dave Carnell, Bob and Sheila Wise, et al. There's even some deathless prose
          from Charles Stout, of long-micro fame. The pages contain some sophomoric
          treatment of various subjects and some inaccuracy too, but there are a few
          good tips along the way, a good bit of content of interest to Micro builders
          and from a historical standpoint, it's all quite interesting if not valuable
          (and like all efforts of this nature, it gets better as the publication got
          older).

          In any case, I've archived them in .pdf files on Private Postings (about
          500K each). It's pretty sure that not more than forty people in the world
          have ever seen this content. "Private Postings" URL is below. Click #9 on
          the list of archives.

          http://members.xoom.com/_XOOM/merrellc1/

          ***********************************
          CHUCK MERRELL
          MERRELL WATERCRAFT
          P. O. Box 80264
          Seattle, WA 98108-0264
          (206) 764-1298
          Email: chuck@...
          Web Site: http://www.boatdesign.com

          > [Click Here]
          > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger

          Simplicity Boats (mirror sites - if one doesn't work...)
          http://members.tripod.com/simplicityboats/
          http://members.xoom.com/simpleboats/
          Here's my latest boat:
          http://members.tripod.com/simplicityboats/featherwind.html