flu remedies,anyone?

  • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2001
      Hi Bolgerados,
      Anyone out there have a sure-fire,no-holds-barred,run-around-the-
      block-naked cure for a nasty flu? I've gone the industrial route with
      all the chemicals the pharmacists carries without any relief yet.
      So.......maybe some of you have an old family recipe for stuff
      that does work?
      I hope so,since I am just about to either blow my eyes out of my
      head from sneezing or get shot by friendly neighbors kept up all
      night from my endless coughing!
      Snifcerely,
      Peter Lenihan,doing serious damage to soft-woods judging by the pile
      of empty kleenex boxes building up on the shores of the
      St.Lawrence...
    • PseudoDion3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2001
        Hi Peter,
        In Missouri where I grew up, the flu remedy was suffering! In
        West Virginia where I lived for 20 years, the hills folks swore by a
        pint of the best corn liquor they could get their hands on. Drink it
        down as fast as you can, then bury yourself under your favorite quilt
        and sleep it off. I've never tried it myself, but at least it is a
        natural medicine. If you have no corn squeezins, then a pint of good
        whiskey will do. Oh, yea. Dosage is PRN.

        Dennis Marshall

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2001
          Dennis,
          Thanks for the suggestion but I was afraid somebody would come up
          with a liquor cure.Unfortunately for me,this type of treatment sorta
          backfires with me since once I get a good dose of potent juice in my
          gut,I just wanna boogy all night long and damn the torpedoes!!
          I'd have to get my Pesky crew to tie me down real snug BEFORE
          drinking begins and then it would only stand half a chance of working
          since she hasn't yet got all her knots right......yet!
          But I do get the sense of your message.Raise my internal
          temperature and get into a little sweat-lodge affair.Perhaps a cup of
          broth with tabasco sauce,followed by a hot bath then quickly under the
          comforter?
          Anyway,thanks for the suggestion! Also,I generally enjoy refined
          beverages TID with occasional bursts of QID but you can be my MD
          anytime with prescriptions like PRN!
          Sincerely,
          Peter Lenihan,refusing to surrender to this damned flu and about to
          boil his guts with tabasco sauce,broth and lots of screaming,from the
          shores of the St.Lawrence..........

          --- In bolger@y..., PseudoDion3@a... wrote:
          > Hi Peter,
          > In Missouri where I grew up, the flu remedy was suffering! In
          > West Virginia where I lived for 20 years, the hills folks swore by a
          > pint of the best corn liquor they could get their hands on. Drink it
          > down as fast as you can, then bury yourself under your favorite
          quilt
          > and sleep it off. I've never tried it myself, but at least it is a
          > natural medicine. If you have no corn squeezins, then a pint of good
          > whiskey will do. Oh, yea. Dosage is PRN.
          >
          > Dennis Marshall
          >
          > --- In bolger@y..., ellengaest@b... wrote:
          > > Hi Bolgerados,
          > > Anyone out there have a sure-fire,no-holds-barred,run-around-
          > the-
          > > block-naked cure for a nasty flu? I've gone the industrial route
          > with
          > > all the chemicals the pharmacists carries without any relief yet.
          > > So.......maybe some of you have an old family recipe for stuff
          > > that does work?
          > > I hope so,since I am just about to either blow my eyes out of
          > my
          > > head from sneezing or get shot by friendly neighbors kept up all
          > > night from my endless coughing!
          > > Snifcerely,
          > > Peter Lenihan,doing serious damage to soft-woods judging by the
          > pile
          > > of empty kleenex boxes building up on the shores of the
          > > St.Lawrence...
        • John Bell
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2001
            The only cure is rest and time my friend. Save your insides from the
            Tabasco: Drink a gallon orange juice and take whatever over-the-counter
            palliatives that help you sleep and GET TO BED! Turn the d*** computer off!

            Liquor only ever made it worse for me. Save the good stuff for when you can
            actually enjoy it. Give the rot gut to Job's comforters, er, I mean your
            boating friends.

            (Feeling sympathetic, was there last week myself...)

            JB

          • PseudoDion3@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2001
              Peter, just trying to be helpful. I reckon that the old folk remedy
              does more about making you sleep than it does anything else. In that
              case, take a shot, follow it with hot lemon water with honey (to coat
              the throat) and sleep. It is the old home "nyquil" remedy without the
              expense.QED
              Anyone who can keep his sense of humor in the midst of such
              discomfort must be on the road to wellsville. As to John Bell's Job
              inference, all I've got to say is I bet old Job was wishin' he was
              sitting on a dung pile covered in sores while he was gettin' his butt
              chewed by God there in the later chapters (38 -- 42).

            • Lincoln Ross
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2001
                Not a cure, but can help with congestion:
                All the garlic and onions you can take as raw as you can take them,
                tho cooked still helps.

                A nice curry is good, delivered to your house of course. And that
                chutney that seems to be made from onions and some kind of tomato
                stuff and who knows what else.

                Drink a lot of water, and make sure you have a humidifier set up.
                Don't do any sanding until you are better. Unless your mask is
                perfect, even a little dust will make you feel worse.

                A remedy which I don't recommend involves a hat, a four poster bed,
                and a large bottle of whiskey. Put the hat on the bedpost, get in the
                bed, and drink until there are two hats. Go to sleep.
                --- In bolger@y..., ellengaest@b... wrote:
                > Hi Bolgerados,
                > Anyone out there have a
                sure-fire,no-holds-barred,run-around-the-
                > block-naked cure for a nasty flu? I've gone the industrial route
                with
                > all the chemicals the pharmacists carries without any relief yet.
                > So.......maybe some of you have an old family recipe for stuff
                > that does work?
                > I hope so,since I am just about to either blow my eyes out of my
                > head from sneezing or get shot by friendly neighbors kept up all
                > night from my endless coughing!
                > Snifcerely,
                > Peter Lenihan,doing serious damage to soft-woods judging by the pile
                > of empty kleenex boxes building up on the shores of the
                > St.Lawrence...
              • Giuseppe 'Pippo' Bianco
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 6, 2001
                  Hi Peter: black coffee (a lot), Aspirine (2/3 tablets a day) and C
                  Vitamin (.5 g/day). That's it, it works fine for me...
                  Best, Pippo

                • jmbell@mindspring.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 6, 2001
                    --- In bolger@y..., PseudoDion3@a... wrote:
                    As to John Bell's Job
                    > inference, all I've got to say is I bet old Job was wishin' he was
                    > sitting on a dung pile covered in sores while he was gettin' his
                    butt
                    > chewed by God there in the later chapters (38 -- 42).
                    >
                    > Dennis Marshall

                    Yeah, that was as fine a piece of tail-chewing as there ever was...

                    Job 38:1-9
                    From out of a storm, the LORD said to Job:
                    Why do you talk so much when you know so little?
                    Now get ready to face me! Can you answer the questions I ask?
                    How did I lay the foundation for the earth? Were you there?
                    Doubtless you know who decided its length and width.
                    What supports the foundation? Who placed the cornerstone,
                    while morning stars sang, and angels rejoiced?
                    When the ocean was born, I set its boundaries
                    and wrapped it in blankets of thickest fog....

                    Reminds me of the lectures my dad gave me when I was a kid. Or Bill
                    Cosby's tale of his father telling him "I brought you into this
                    world, I CAN take you out.... Make another one just like you too.
                    Don't make no difference to me."

                    (FWIW, Job 38-42 are favorites of mine)

                    Glad Peter's feeling better, though. But eating raw garlic? I'd have
                    to be pretty darn sick to gnaw on the old stinking rose raw.

                    JB