Luan ply and allergic reactions

  • Todd
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2001
      What are the symptoms?

      Just finished sanding some luan and feel light headed, nervous and
      jittery kind of like when you have had to many cups of coffee.

      Todd
    • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2001
        Usually,inhaled dust particles from wood,if you are allegic to
        them would tend to produce respiratory difficulties and/or some type
        of dermatitis and/or watery eyes/clogged sinuses.Was there any paint
        on the wood you were sanding? If so,was/is it a lead based paint? Did
        you sand through a glue line?What type of glue? Is this the first time
        you have had an allergic response to ANY substance?
        Something else to consider;were you hand sanding or machine
        sanding?How noisy is your sander and how long did you sand for?Loud
        sounds can sometimes over-stimulate a person.Is the electric sander
        well grounded,no stray currents?How about vibration from the sander?
        So many things to consider! Hopefully,your symptoms are of benign
        origin and transient in nature.
        Good Luck!
        Peter Lenihan

      • djost@ma.ultranet.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2001
          Todd,

          FYI, there is no such thing as too many cups of coffee.

          As Peter said, usually there is reperatory problems/ dermatitis from
          the wood, glue mix. I am not a doctor (actually a musician)
          therefore, I will not offer medical advise.

          Wear your mask, gloves, and respirator when working with anything
          that makes dust, is made of synthetic materials such as glue, or can
          rip an eye out. common sense that I wish I always followed.

          Next time you have these symptoms, stop what your are doing and
          have a fine glass of Merlot to offset the symptoms and improve your
          outlook on life!

          David Jost
          "after a fine day of fairing the rudder for Firefly (new filter on
          the respirator, and two glasses later)"