Re: [bolger] Stability

  • wmrpage@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
      In a message dated 10/31/01 11:32:31 PM Central Standard Time,
      chuck@... writes:

      > Is this the picture you guys are talking about?:
      > http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/reports/04/hillbilly.jpg
      >
      > Chuck

      By George! (or By Chuck!) It certainly looks like the one I recall. I
      remembered the make of the motor correctly, but had forgotten (perhaps didn't
      notice?) the "transom" on this table. Thanks, Chuck! (Duckworks is a great
      magazine, by the way, IMHO)

      Bill in MN

    • wmrpage@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
        In a message dated 11/1/01 7:51:39 PM Central Standard Time,
        pateson@... writes:

        > Like a bat, till it came time to turn.
        > Motor turned, boat turned, but course remained the same.

        I take it from your survival that you didn't "trip" and roll while
        trying to turn the boat. I'm curious as to why not. Good sense?

        Does anyone have any idea what the concept or execution was behing the
        "anti-trip" chines on Hickman sea-sleds? Bolger is on record that he thinks
        Hickman squandered his talents with his concentration on this type. Hickman's
        "sea-sleds" were anything but flat-bottomed, at least in their mature
        configuration, but remarks in the literature suggest that they might have had
        an unfortunate tendency to "trip" without the prophylatic chines.

        Bill in MN