re:stability

  • wattleweedooseeds@bigpond.com.au
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
      Here in western Australia we have a race known aas the Avon Descent,
      a 2 day white water, rocks an long flat water run for kayaks Surf
      skis and absolutely flat skiffs with 6 hp outboardsand 2 crew.
      The skiffs are a sheet of styrofoam ,with maybe a ply stringer or 2,
      Like a surfboard, coated in a thin layer of epoxy and kevlar. add an
      outboard mount and handrails, and go jump waterfalls!!!
      They have no rocker. No vee, nno sides, and no sense. They are
      smooth bottomed, often planing through white waterfoam on a wing and
      a prayer.
      on the flat waterwater home stretch they skip like a flat stone on
      turns, hence the hand rails. they have a habit of overtaking their
      own bowwave and need constant balancing fore and aft by the crew.
      allthis happens in mid winterregardless of wether thereis enough
      water in the river, hence the extreme light weight( you may have to
      carry the boat).
      just thought Id let you know what the hillbillies do for sport1
      cheers Paul
    • Orr, Jamie
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
        Hey Paul!

        Your post brought back a whole raft of memories. In 1987 we spent 3 months
        in Perth. Being a wannabe whitewater paddler at the time I entered the Avon
        Descent in a Canadian (open) canoe, with one of my Perth co-workers. We had
        a great time, but were pulled off the river at the last checkpoint before
        the end, as the official didn't think we could finish before dark. (Our
        support team had got lost earlier in the traffic on the back roads, and we
        foolishly waited for them at the scheduled meeting point.)

        The Descent has to be one of the craziest races around. The river was
        almost dry a week before the race, then we got some rain and it flooded over
        the banks to the point where we were paddling through thickets of tree
        branches (Ti trees?). We saw several of the less maneouverable long surf
        skis or kayaks wrapped around tree trunks. Paddlers were started a minute
        apart, over a small rocky weir. We had a head start on the power boats of
        about 4 hours, then they started to zoom past. Everyone camped at the half
        way point (therefore the support car and crew) at a small town whose name
        I've forgotten. We started again in the misty dawn -- the starting gun was
        a 105 mm howitzer, I think, courtesy of the Australian army. My hearing
        came back eventually. I think this time the power boats moved off first,
        but I can't really remember.

        Both days were bright and sunny, the water was warm and life was good.

        Thanks, Paul

        Jamie Orr

[...]

        Bolger rules!!!
        01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

      • wmrpage@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
          In a message dated 11/1/01 6:02:32 AM Central Standard Time,
          wattleweedooseeds@... writes:

          > Here in western Australia we have a race known aas the Avon Descent,

          WEIRD! You "Ozzies" are certainly a nutty bunch. I think this warrants an
          illustrated article in "Duckworks"! Have you actually participated in this
          nuttiness, or just prudently observed from shore?

          Bill in MN