Re: [bolger] Proper Bottom Design

  • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
      Pat-

      Bring the bottom up to just above the waterline in a gentle curve and you
      should do fine at displacement speeds, not making much fuss unless you try
      to go faster. For displacement speed you'd need much less than 25 hp.
      "Semi-displacement" speeds appear to me (a total non-naval architect) quite
      a bit harder to design for than either displacement or planing, I can't
      offer any advice about that area. You're lengthening the GP-16 anyway, so
      the displacement you lose by cutting away the bottom profile may be made up
      in the extra length. Now you have an excuse to try out Gregg Carlson's free
      Hulls program to help you get your boat to float on its lines:

      http://www.carlsondesign.com/#Fun_Shareware

      On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 20:39:46 -0000, Pat Pateson wrote:
      > Bottom/Stern Design for low HP cruising boat.
      >
      > I am stilll in the "Waiting to get well enough to build it"
      > stage of construction of my GP-16/18. (Non-Bolger, although
      > very Bolgeresque. 16' "Brick" ?)
      > I missed the detail about a 50 HP outboard being the
      > "Recomended" power.
      > The question is.
      > Is my "Perfect Boat" not so "Perfect" after all?
      > I would like to power it with a low HP (25 HP max, less is better)
      > I thought I might get some opinions first.
      > It would be nice to go faster than 5.5 knots, but maybe
      > that is to be.
      > I can live with that, but I would like to do so without having
      > the wake suck creatures off the bottom, and block my view aft.

      John <jkohnen@...>
      http://www.boat-links.com/
      Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes.
      <Henry David Thoreau>