What is that...?

  • jeffbob@iname.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2001
      Hello all.

      Could someone please tell me what the short post on the fore deck of
      the boat at the following link is and what is its purpose:

      http://www.essexshipbuildingmuseum.com/giftboat/giftboat.html

      The last picture has the best view. You can see where the mast will
      be stepped directly behind it.

      I think that I also saw this post on the sailboat that is on the cover
      of Woodenboat magazine(Sept/Oct '01).

      In any case, this yawl looks like it's coming along nicely; very
      pretty.

      Jeff
    • Jeff Blunck
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 31, 2001
        It's believe it's called a Samson Post. Used for mooring, anchoring, or
        dock lines. Usually much sturdier than a cleat and generally goes from the
        deck to the keel.

        Jeff

      • djost@ma.ultranet.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 31, 2001
          We call it a mooring bit. It is easier to deal with than a cleat,
          and much sturdier. It will still catch the sheets in a tack, but it
          is simple to wrap a couple of quick loops around it when docking or
          anchoring.

          The boat looks like "Annie" featured in Wooden Boats "50 Boats" I
          saw one just like her in Arundel (next to Kennebunkport) ME a few
          years ago, she was strip planked and finished clear. this is a
          stunning boat! the one being built looks excellent as well, I wish I
          had the cash.

          David Jost
          "Happy Halloween"
        • John Brown
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 31, 2001
            How do I get off this list?

            All I did was check out this site and now I'm getting e mail I don't
            want.

            Thank You...

            djost@... wrote:

            > We call it a mooring bit. It is easier to deal with than a cleat,
            > and much sturdier. It will still catch the sheets in a tack, but it
            > is simple to wrap a couple of quick loops around it when docking or
            > anchoring.
            >
            > The boat looks like "Annie" featured in Wooden Boats "50 Boats" I
            > saw one just like her in Arundel (next to Kennebunkport) ME a few
            > years ago, she was strip planked and finished clear. this is a
            > stunning boat! the one being built looks excellent as well, I wish I
            > had the cash.
            >
            > David Jost
            > "Happy Halloween"
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            >

            > Enter Your Email:
            >

            > US/Canada Only membership
            > agreement privacy policy

            > 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

          • Bill Kreamer
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
              To unsubscribe, scroll down and see the instructions at the bottom of
              the list...

              djost@... wrote:

              > We call it a mooring bit. It is easier to deal with than a cleat,
              > and much sturdier. It will still catch the sheets in a tack, but it
              > is simple to wrap a couple of quick loops around it when docking or
              > anchoring.
              >
              > The boat looks like "Annie" featured in Wooden Boats "50 Boats" I
              > saw one just like her in Arundel (next to Kennebunkport) ME a few
              > years ago, she was strip planked and finished clear. this is a
              > stunning boat! the one being built looks excellent as well, I wish I
              > had the cash.
              >
              > David Jost
              > "Happy Halloween"
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              >

              > Enter Your Email:
              >

              > US/Canada Only membership
              > agreement privacy policy

              > 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.1650662.3186813.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
              065791:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

              Bolger rules!!!
              01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • johannes gustafsson
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
                John, if you'd like just stop the Email messages without completely
                unsubscribing, click on "Edit My Membership", on the right side of
                the "bolger - Phil Bolger's Boats" title bar above. Then under
                the "Message Delivery" section select the "No Email" button, and then
                the "Save Changes" button at the bottom. That should do it.
                -- johannes

                --- In bolger@y..., John Brown <falldown.brown@h...> wrote:
                > How do I get off this list?
                >
                > All I did was check out this site and now I'm getting e mail I don't
                > want.
                >
                > Thank You...
                >
                > djost@m... wrote:
                > >
                > > We call it a mooring bit. It is easier to deal with than a cleat,
                > > and much sturdier. It will still catch the sheets in a tack, but
                it
                > > is simple to wrap a couple of quick loops around it when docking
                or
                > > anchoring.
                > >
                > > The boat looks like "Annie" featured in Wooden Boats "50 Boats" I
                > > saw one just like her in Arundel (next to Kennebunkport) ME a few
                > > years ago, she was strip planked and finished clear. this is a
                > > stunning boat! the one being built looks excellent as well, I
                wish I
                > > had the cash.
                > >
                > > David Jost
                > > "Happy Halloween"
                > >
                > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                > >

                > > Enter Your Email:
                > >

                > > US/Canada Only membership
                > > agreement privacy policy
                > >

                > > Bolger rules!!!
                > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead horses
                > > - pls take "personals" off-list, stay on topic, and punctuate
                > > - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts, snip all you
                like
                > > - To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
                Gloucester, MA,
                > > 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                > > - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@y...

                Service.
              • Clyde S. Wisner
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 2, 2001
                  It probably also secures the end of the bow sprit on the pictured boat. Clyde

                • djost@ma.ultranet.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 2, 2001
                    In 50 Wooden Boats there is a good picture of the lines to the boat.
                    It shows the jib as being self-tacking. That would solve the problem
                    of the post catching the sheets during a tack. I will need to dig
                    the book out this evening and see if it indeed is used to secure the
                    bow sprit. The sprit is usually bolted down through the deck and
                    then the forestay controls movement down, and a short stay from the
                    bow to the sprit controls the movement up.

                    Food for thought, How can I place a self-launching pole for an
                    assymeterical spinnaker on my Micro. That would certainly pick her
                    up in the light stuff!

                    David Jost