[bolger] Re: Life Vests

  • John Bell
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 1999
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: David Ryan <david@...>
      > Speaking of maritime disasters, I am extremely fond of what kayakers
      > call a "squirt vest." The reasons for its name are a little hard to
      > explain, but what it is a lower floatation type III vest. Because of
      > its smaller size, it's very easy to wear all the time, and a lower
      > flotation type III that's on you is a lot better than a type V
      > stuffed in the bow.Once upon a time I had a dingy racing style vest,
      > this is much better.

      You can see a picture of a squirt vest on my home page. As a former squirt
      boater, I can attest to the comfort and range of motion these things allow.
      The only problem with them in truly warm climes is that they can be very hot
      due to their snug fit. But that can be said of any life jacket, I suppose.
      I've been looking longingly at the inflatable vests in the West marine
      catalog for those hot days when it's not likely I'll get wet, but want to
      wear a vest just for safety's sake. In cold water you can't beat real the
      real thing, though.

      John Bell
      Kennesaw, GA
      jmbell@...