info on "missing" Bolger designs

  • Gerry
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 29, 2001
      While doing a random search on Bolger in Google, I came across an
      archived sale notice from Common Sense Designs back in 1996.
      Apparently they used to carry many more (approx 50) Bolger plans than
      they do now.

      It took some digging, but I managed to cross-reference most of them to
      the various books and MAIB index (thru Dec 2000). I
      haven't found a Small Boat Journal (SBJ) index yet (pointers,
      anyone?). There are a few left that I couldn't find, or were not
      definatively matched up in MAIB.

      I'd like to get at least a length and hull/class/family description on
      these. Hopefully they'll get added into the indexes here and
      elsewhere as a result. I suppose I may have just volunteered to
      create the "not found in print" list for Bolger designs...

      Bateau #517 -> is this the "Budget Bateau" in the MAIB index ?
      Houseboat #481 -> several hits in MAIB, dunno which one?
      Blackbird #443
      Dugong #365
      Gale #492
      Samuel Clyde #544 -> maybe? 32' Plywood Motorboat, MAIB v13 i-4 p10
      Steel Trawler #409
      Sybil's Yawl #507
      Tartar #424

      I suppose I could write to Mr. Bolger, but I figured the group might
      have fun with this in light of the discussion about indexing the
      designs.
    • thomas dalzell
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 29, 2001
        My price list indicates that they were carrying 29
        boxes, and 24 "complex plans" during that period.

        I have the HouseBoat plans. They were prepared for
        Elrow LaRowe, as design 481. She is 19'9"x7'10". She
        is flat in crossection, and curved fore and aft.

        --- Gerry <ghinkle@...> wrote:

        <HR>
        <tt>
        While doing a random search on Bolger in Google, I
        came across an<BR>
        archived sale notice from Common Sense Designs back in
        1996. <BR>
        Apparently they used to carry many more (approx 50)
        Bolger plans than<BR>
        they do now.<BR>
        <BR>
        It took some digging, but I managed to cross-reference
        most of them to<BR>
        the various books and MAIB index (thru Dec
        2000).  I<BR>
        haven't found a Small Boat Journal (SBJ) index yet
        (pointers,<BR>
        anyone?).  There are a few left that I couldn't
        find, or were not<BR>
        definatively matched up in MAIB.<BR>
        <BR>
        I'd like to get at least a length and
        hull/class/family description on<BR>
        these.  Hopefully they'll get added into the
        indexes here and<BR>
        elsewhere as a result.  I suppose I may have just
        volunteered to<BR>
        create the "not found in print" list for
        Bolger designs...<BR>
        <BR>
        Bateau  #517 -> is this the "Budget
        Bateau" in the MAIB index ?<BR>
        Houseboat  #481 -> several hits in MAIB, dunno
        which one?<BR>
        Blackbird  #443<BR>
        Dugong  #365<BR>
        Gale  #492<BR>
        Samuel Clyde #544 -> maybe? 32' Plywood Motorboat,
        MAIB v13 i-4  p10<BR>
        Steel Trawler  #409<BR>
        Sybil's Yawl  #507<BR>
        Tartar  #424<BR>
        <BR>
        I suppose I could write to Mr. Bolger, but I figured
        the group might<BR>
        have fun with this in light of the discussion about
        indexing the<BR>
        designs.<BR>
        <BR>
        </tt>

        <tt>
        Bolger rules!!!<BR>
        - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging
        dead horses<BR>
        - pls take "personals" off-list, stay on
        topic, and punctuate<BR>
        - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts,
        snip all you like<BR>
        - To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
        Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349<BR>
        - Unsubscribe:

        <tt>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
        href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms
        of Service</a>.</tt>

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 29, 2001
          Samuel Clyde #544 is a hard-chine plywood I/O cruiser, 31'0" x 8'3" x
          1'0". It is described in BWAOM p. 3229.

          Steel Trawler #409 is a steel box-keel diesel trawler, 39'0" x
          14'0"x3'9". It is described in BWAOM p. 392, is called "Shady Lady".

          --- In bolger@y..., "Gerry" <ghinkle@h...> wrote:
          > While doing a random search on Bolger in Google, I came across an
          > archived sale notice from Common Sense Designs back in 1996.
          > Apparently they used to carry many more (approx 50) Bolger plans
          than
          > they do now.
          >
          > It took some digging, but I managed to cross-reference most of them
          > the various books and MAIB index (thru Dec 2000). I
          > haven't found a Small Boat Journal (SBJ) index yet (pointers,
          > anyone?). There are a few left that I couldn't find, or were not
          > definatively matched up in MAIB.
          >
          > I'd like to get at least a length and hull/class/family description
          on
          > these. Hopefully they'll get added into the indexes here and
          > elsewhere as a result. I suppose I may have just volunteered to
          > create the "not found in print" list for Bolger designs...
          >
          > Bateau #517 -> is this the "Budget Bateau" in the MAIB index ?
          > Houseboat #481 -> several hits in MAIB, dunno which one?
          > Blackbird #443
          > Dugong #365
          > Gale #492
          > Samuel Clyde #544 -> maybe? 32' Plywood Motorboat, MAIB v13 i-4 p10
          > Steel Trawler #409
          > Sybil's Yawl #507
          > Tartar #424
          >
          > I suppose I could write to Mr. Bolger, but I figured the group might
          > have fun with this in light of the discussion about indexing the
          > designs.
        • Chris Crandall
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 29, 2001
            On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Gerry wrote:
            > Houseboat #481 -> several hits in MAIB, dunno which one?

            BTW, Bolger doesn't sell these anymore. I believe that he thinks that
            they are insufficiently seaworthy for the water people take them out on.
            They can ship water over the bow (onto the foredeck, that is to say, onto
            the porch, and hence into the cabin).

            I have the plans, and like its looks.
          • pvanderw@optonline.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 29, 2001
              > Samuel Clyde #544 -> maybe? 32' Plywood Motorboat, MAIB v13 i-4 p10

              in BWAOM, 31' plywood cruiser.
            • nasplundh@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 29, 2001
                Probably same design as done for veteran beachcruisers Ida Little &
                Michael Walsh, 26' strip-plank, sprit-rig, leeboard cruiser. They
                describe it's plusses (and minuses) in their book: Beachcruising and
                Coastal Camping, ISBN 0918752159. They eventually sold it and moved
                on to a bigger FG vessel (for living aboard, I think).

                --- In bolger@y..., "Gerry" <ghinkle@h...> wrote:
                >snip>
                Dugong #365
              • John Bell
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 29, 2001
                  | Gale #492 - Surely this is "Slicer" in BWAOM.

                  | Tartar #424 - I've got an old Nautical Quarterly that I found in Powell's
                  books in Portland, OR with a few photos and a brief write-up. The prototype
                  was built by Zimmerman Marine in VA. She is a very pretty and useful looking
                  outboard dayboat.

                  JB in Kennesaw.
                • david galvin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 31, 2001
                    Gerry,

                    Bateau #517 is a 25'6"x4'10" flat bottomed plywood rowboat. It is
                    designed for three oarsman and a cockswain, and requires seven sheets
                    of 1/2" plywood to build. I don't know if it's the "Budjet Bateau" to
                    which you refer.

                    Houseboat has been commented on by others. Bolger definitely no
                    longer offers plans for this one.

                    Blackbird #443 is a 23'4"x7'8" cabin cruiser designed for a fifteen
                    to ninety horsepower outboard. It is a round bottomed boat with vee
                    berths and a minimal head and galley. Intended for cold-molded wood
                    construction, it would be a long time building, but it is a lovely
                    boat of the type.

                    Dugong #365 is a 26'x5'4" cold-molded cruising canoe. It displaces
                    1400 lbs. and sleeps two--minimally. I think of it as a sort of "rich
                    man's Birdwatcher". It has a boomed sprit rig and can also be rowed
                    by one person. With its leeboards up it draws five inches of water.

                    Gale #492 is a plywood-on-frame center-console power boat. It
                    reportedly does eighteen knots with a fifteen horsepower outboard.
                    Semi-Vee bottomed and 29'x5'2", it would be fairly challenging to
                    build.

                    Your guess is correct concerning Samuel Clyde, a business-like live-
                    aboard cruiser for two to four. It needs a 100-200 hp I/O for power.

                    Steel Trawler is a 39'x14'x3'9" draft ocean-capable, uh, steel
                    trawler. The interior is laid out for four (or five or six). You
                    could, of course, install a baby grand piano in the forpeak in leau
                    of two of the berths, or an upright in the saloon instead of the
                    sofa. It requires an eighty horsepower diesel inboard and displaces
                    40,000 lbs, all up. This is a very serious boat for very serious
                    cruising.

                    Sybil's Yawl #507, a rich man's Tortoise, is 7'6"x3'11". A flat-
                    bottomed lapstrake dinghy designed for oars or a two horsepower
                    outboard, if used as a yawl boat she can use up to six horsepower.

                    Tartar, 25'6"x6'8", is a cold-molded outboard cruiser with two berths
                    under a convertible top. There are no other accomodations. It had
                    a "semi-vee" hull and is designed for a seventy horsepower outboard.

                  • cha62759@traverse.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 31, 2001
                      Blackbird #443 is a 23'4"x7'8" cabin cruiser designed for a fifteen
                      > to ninety horsepower outboard. It is a round bottomed boat with vee
                      > berths and a minimal head and galley. Intended for cold-molded wood
                      > construction, it would be a long time building, but it is a lovely
                      > boat of the type.

                      See Small Boat Journal #41, March 1985 for an article about
                      "Blackbird". The design is by Ken Bassett drawn and refined by Mr Bolger.
                      Bob Chamberland
                    • Gerry
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 1, 2001
                        David,
                        You knocked this pitch out of the park! Thanks to you (and the
                        others) for the info. Should this be posted (with full credits to
                        posters) in the "Files" section, at least until an all-in-one list
                        gets made?

                        By the way, where did you find these? I have no local access to Small
                        Boat Journal or Wooden Boat. I admit Samuel Clyde was an oversight,
                        should have found that one in BWAOM. I had suspected some of these
                        were known under other names. In light of "Clyde" being directly in
                        BWAOM, I'd remove it from this list (certainly not missing...)

                        - Gerry

                        PS - I would add Bob Chamberland's "refined by" reference (Thanks!)
                        along with the other tidbits...

                        --- In bolger@y..., "david galvin" <porcupine@d...> wrote:
                        > Gerry,
                        >
                        > Bateau #517 is a 25'6"x4'10" flat bottomed plywood rowboat. It is
                        > designed for three oarsman and a cockswain, and requires seven
                        sheets
                        > of 1/2" plywood to build. I don't know if it's the "Budjet Bateau"
                        > which you refer.
                        >
                        > Houseboat has been commented on by others. Bolger definitely no
                        > longer offers plans for this one.
                        >
                        > Blackbird #443 is a 23'4"x7'8" cabin cruiser designed for a fifteen
                        > to ninety horsepower outboard. It is a round bottomed boat with vee
                        > berths and a minimal head and galley. Intended for cold-molded wood
                        > construction, it would be a long time building, but it is a lovely
                        > boat of the type.
                        >
                        > Dugong #365 is a 26'x5'4" cold-molded cruising canoe. It displaces

                        { ... cut for brevity ... }
                      • david galvin
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 1, 2001
                          Gerry,

                          My secret? I have the old (circa 1993) Common Sense Catalog. I never
                          throw anything away, which is why I also have at least five home-made
                          boats scattered around my property. I did finally get rid of my 1964
                          Volkswagon Beetle a few years ago, but it broke my heart....

                          porky