Re: Solent Lug Question

  • captreed@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 26, 2001
      Andy

      I tried a solent lug once. No gaff jaws and like the other replies
      have said you do need to lower the sail all the way down to tie in a
      reef and re-position the halyard. Positioning of the halyard was
      important: it needed to be above the center of the yard or raising
      the sail became a real mess with the lower end of the yard wanting to
      go up first.

      Since I make poly-tarp sails I eventually abandoned the solent lug
      rig. The stretchiness of the fabric meant I couldn't keep the
      tension necessary to keep the yard straight up.

      In the Oct 1 issue of MAIB George Fulk writes about his CS Skiff with
      the solent lug rig. It says "The rig is not so handy. Setting it up
      takes some time and fiddling around. When you strike it, you've got
      so much sail and rope in the boat you can hardly move. It is almost
      impossible to take in a reef when out on the lake. You have to
      strike the sail, re-tie the main halyard to a different place on the
      yard, roll up the foot of the sail, re-tie the clew to boom and tack
      to mast, adjust the snotter, then re-set the sails. The advantage of
      the rig is you can get a lot of sail up on a short spars." He does
      say the boat is quite fast.

      I wish you good luck with it.

      Reed Smith