Re: Redwood?

  • sanmi@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 8, 2001
      I used cheap pine for the chine logs on my AF3 sharpie, but I built
      the mast out of redwood because it was the only straight, clear 16'
      stock they had (a Lumber Yard in Colorado Springs, CO). It was kind
      of expensive, but the end result was good. I chose stock that didn't
      have much sapwood and then cut to avoid all sapwood. I had to plug
      only one 3/4" knothole. The mast is plenty bendy and doesn't seem
      too brittle.

      scarfing pictures:
      http://www.geocities.com/sanmi/creamcheese/scarf1.jpg
      http://www.geocities.com/sanmi/creamcheese/scarf2.jpg
      http://www.geocities.com/sanmi/creamcheese/scarf3.jpg

      --- In bolger@y..., jonpit@y... wrote:
      > It is true that redwood is generally light , soft and easily
      splits
      > along the grain. But, in many years of working with it I've
      noticed a
      > great range of variation in the material. "Redwood" refers to
      Sequoia
      > sempervirens - the coast redwood which is used for lumber. The
      Giant