[bolger] Re: from NPR.com 10/2/01 "Lost Rower"

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2001
      >Phil Bolger & Friends has posted a message on the WoodenBoat forum
      >concerning this incident at:
      >
      >http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/Forum5/HTML/002886.html

      I was watching this storm because it was our first "Winter" style
      wave maker of the season. I distinctly recall looking at the wave
      forecast on the FNMOC site and marveling at the intensity the storm
      achieved on the eastern side of the Atlantic.

      Having grown up with the blue corduroy of the pacific, one of the
      most amazing aspects of the Atlantic off Ireland is how short the
      period can be on mountainous seas. I've seen 15 meter seas with 8-9
      second period. Check out "Ryan's Daughter" for big nasty grey lumps
      pounding on the shore of the Irish coast.

      Hopefully this guy's EPIRB got triggered by some freak wave and he's
      just dazed, grateful and rowing Eastward.

      YIBB,

      David

      C.E.P.
      134 West 26th St. 12th Floor