Re: [bolger] Re: Why not a Dory?

  • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2001
      Pacific City dories used to be much more dory-like. Harry V. Sucher took
      the lines of a "modern 20' Oregon surf dory" he found at Depoe Bay in 1958,
      it's a bit wider (top and bottom) than a bank dory, with quite a bit more
      rocker, but is doube-ended on the bottom with a tombstone transom. Kinda
      like a small St. Pierre dory. A friend of mine has an even older version in
      his yard that's double-ended, with no transom at all. What happened is that
      powerful outboards got cheaper and the boats started spreading out aft and
      became planing boats that look a lot like skiffs. The old boats ran at
      displacement speed and look like they were seaworthy enough to ride out
      some nasty weather, the new style boats' strategy is to outrun the weather
      and ride out the storms safely sitting on their trailer while their crews
      sit in a nice warm tavern and listen to the wind howl. Sounds good to me.
      <g> With the more accurate weather prediction we have today the strategy
      works fine, and the faster new boats can fish farther offshore (the dories
      are day fishermen, they have to get to the fishing grounds and back in the
      same day).

      The Oregon dories weren't designed for the Columbia River bar, they
      developed for fishing off the beach, mostly at Pacific City (SW of
      Tillamook). They've been used all up and down the coast though, the
      new-style boats are often used as day fishing boats out of real harbors,
      never being launched off a beach.

      On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 14:56:03 -0600, Jeff wrote:
      > With all this knowledge about Dories, I ask a question. I know the Pacific
      > Dory is build with a flat run and generally a straight run aft. What is the
      > advantage other than shallow draft? It seems that it would get pushed
      > around severely in a following sea but yet they where designed to be used at
      > the mouth of the Columbia where some of the roughest seas in the USA can be
      > found. They use it to train the Coast Guard! They are obviously very
      > seaworthy boats to Salmon fish 10 to 12 miles out, but what makes them that
      > way.

      John <jkohnen@...>
      http://www.boat-links.com/
      deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Benjamin Franklin>