Re: [bolger] Re: A Bolger Sailing Dory?

  • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 2, 2001
      Putting that Ideal Series index together has addled my brain, all the
      designs seem to run together... <g> The smaller Atkin flat-sided dories I
      was thinkin of are power boats, the small _sailing_ dories are round-sided.
      Perhaps the sailing dory idea just doesn't work well until the boats get
      bigger. The boats Chapelle and Sucher call "Cape Ann" dories, sort of Bank
      dories modified for sail by widening the bottoms a bit and adding a
      centerboard, among other things, are a bit bigger than the usual bank dory
      (almost 23' in Chappy's example and 24' for Sucher's). Apparently St.
      Pierre dories can be successfully modified for sail, they start at around
      27', IIRC. An Oregon boatbuilder, Bill Childs, designed and built a 19'
      version of a Cape Ann dory that sailed so poorly he ended up ripping out
      the centerboard trunk, her current owner uses her as a rowboat and
      powerboat (she's good at those tasks). So maybe it's just a bad idea to try
      making a flat-sided sailing dory much smaller than about 21'...

      I forgot to mention that Abie Porpoise (22'4") and Pemaquid (20'11") have
      ballast keels and inboard auxiliaries.

      On Mon, 01 Oct 2001 18:46:24 -0700, I wrote:
      > The Atkins, per and fils, have designed some smallish sailing dories. A
      > couple of them can be seen here:
      >
      > http://www.boat-links.com/images/AbiePorpoise.gif
      >
      > http://www.boat-links.com/images/Pemaquid.gif
      >
      > They also did some smaller ones that I don't have scans for.

      John <jkohnen@...>
      http://www.boat-links.com/
      I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns
      it on, I go to the library and read a good book. <Groucho Marx>