Sharpie Cruisers

  • bruce_hector@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2001
      Is there anywhere I can see line drawings of all the sharpie
      cruisers? Tennessee, Idaho, Dakota, Champlain, et all. I've seen pics
      on egroups files, duckworks and other boat links, but its the
      interiors and performance I'm most interested in. I'm thinking of
      building one as an economical cruiser and I'm having trouble deciding
      on which will suit my needs best. Thanks for any help. Bruce Hector
      www.brucesboats.com
    • Chuck Leinweber
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2001
        Bruce:

        Here is a link to the Tennessee lines:

        http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/articles/building/Line.GIF

        Idaho:

        http://www.common-sense-boats.com/boats/Boats%20IMAGES/idaholine.gif

        Dakota:

        the wyoming is in BWAOM. I don't know about the Champlain.

        Chuck
        Is there anywhere I can see line drawings of all the sharpie
        cruisers? Tennessee, Idaho, Dakota, Champlain, et all. I've seen pics
        on egroups files, duckworks and other boat links, but its the
        interiors and performance I'm most interested in. I'm thinking of
        building one as an economical cruiser and I'm having trouble deciding
        on which will suit my needs best. Thanks for any help. Bruce Hector
        www.brucesboats.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Bolger rules!!!
        01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

      • bruce_hector@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2001
          Thanks Chuck, I was aware of these sites and had studied the Dak in
          one of Phil's books. I guess I really was after the performance vs
          economy differences. All could be built to similar interior layouts.
          I hope I can resist the Aussie habit of "going up". But the view from
          a fly bridge is sooooo cool.

          What are the cruising speeds of the models with rocker in the hull? I
          know the flat bottoms are fast. But what economy and performance
          would you get with a 10 horse 4 stroke on the stern of each? How a
          25? How do they handle? What force of wind and wave can they take?

          I've sent off a snail mail to PB&F with these questions and my must
          have list for his recomendations.

          My wish list for a sharpie cruiser is:
          - a real double bed. My aging back needs my posturepeadic
          - a stand up head and separate shower
          - usable galley with propane fridge & stove, hot waater sink and
          counter.
          - 10 Kts economical cruising speed with capability of more when needed
          - max beam of 8' for occasional trailer use.
          - enclosed, heatable cabin to extend Canada's short season
          - space for guests to sleep, probably in convertible dinette
          - sufficient lockers, storage and liquid capacity for extended calm
          water cruising
          - beachable, easy reboarding from the water.
          - easy to build, I'm a klutz, but the Gougeon Bros. love me.
          - handsome of course.

          Any comments that will sharpen my aim at one design or the other are
          appreciated.

          Bruce Hector
          www.brucesboats.com
        • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2001
            Hi Bruce,
            To complete the list already started by Chuck,here is a link to
            Champlain,
            http://mkstocks.tripod.com/boats/champlain/index.htm

            Enjoy!
            Sincerely,
            Peter Lenihan, playing cat& mouse with management while I sneak a
            quicky in on the computer,snicker,snicker,....not far from the
            St.Lawrence.......

          • pvanderw@optonline.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2001
              > - 10 Kts economical cruising speed with capability of more when
              needed

              As PCB has written in a couple of places, 10 kts sounds reasonable
              but is an awkward middle sort of speed. To get 10 kts as a
              displacement hull (like Champlain) would require about 70' LWL. To
              get 10 kts in a shorter boat requires a hull that could easily be
              driven 20 or 30 kts. I have a friend with a "trawler" of about 30'
              that cruises at about 10 kts, but the bow is in the air and the wake
              is large. It would be considered a semi-displacement hull.

              It will probably be more natural to either settle for 6-7kts at pure
              displacement speeds, or buy the bigger engine that will let you get
              up into the mid-teens at least.

              Peter
            • Chuck Leinweber
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2001
                Bruce:

                I can only tell you about the Tennessee, since I built one. It will cruise
                at 10 knots, but likes 7 better, and is much more economical there. This is
                with a Honda 9.9 which got around 15 mpg at the lower speed. Unfortunately,
                the Tennessee does not come close to meeting your wish list. It has no
                standing headroom as designed, never mind a flying bridge.

                I think it would be possible to have a scaled up version in the 40 ft range
                that would meet your requirements. I guess the Dakota would be the closest
                to that. It is a nice looking boat. Vince Chew of this group is building
                one.

                The Champlain and the Topaz are somewhat more complicated in hull shape,
                thus not so easy to build. I am still amazed at the way that rockered
                Tennessee hull slipped through the water at full speed (14 mph) with almost
                no wake.

                Have you looked at Mark Abbema's sharpie?:

                http://markvdesigns.tripod.com/boatbuilding/

                Chuck