Re: [bolger] Re: Why not a Dory?

  • Harry W. James
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
      As in Oregon Dory or Pacific Dory? They arn't dories, but skiffs with
      highly flared sides.

    • PseudoDion3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
        I think that this is one of the most interesting threads I've seen.
        Saying the word "Dory" conjures up a whole range of things. It is
        truly a magical word.
        Now, while I have enjoyed the thread, I have also learned a
        great deal for which I am grateful. I would like to thank those who
        have pointed out to me how Dories have developed in an effort to
        increase stability and sail carrying capacity. As to my comments on
        Sharpies, know only that I had in mind the modified designs Bolger
        has developed over the years. I rarely see folks sailing traditional
        sharpies, but many seem to go for the designs that Bolger and
        Michalak base on traditional sharpie thinking.

        Dennis Marshall
      • JohnSpoering@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
          Hi All -
          It might be interesting to look at th "San Francisco Pelican".
          A combination of the oriental Sampan and the American Dory. Plans are
          available in 12' 16' and 18' lengths Check out the website -
          http://www.ns.net/~jheidgr/pub/pelican.htm

          Go to Information about the designer (Bill Short - fastinating)
          at the bottom of the page then view the photos and other links.

          It's a very interesting design - a 12 footer has been sailed to
          Hawaii and there is a lot of class racing going on especially on the west
          coast.
          Plans are available at a very reasonable price from Bills wife Murial at :
          pelicansailboat@...

          A friend and I are just starting to enlarge this design to 24'
          and there are several 20'rs now sailing.

          Aloha - Jack Spoering - Ft Lauderdale,
          Fl

        • kwilson800@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
            According to John Gardner, who probably ought to know, a semi-dory is
            a boat that looks like a normal round-sided dory with the back third
            sawed off and a new wider transom installed. A dory skiff, OTOH,
            looks like the same dory with only the back 20% sawed off. Power
            semi-dories often have completely flat bottoms. If Cartopper is a
            dory skiff adapted to taped-seam construction, then Diablo is a semi-
            dory simplified the same way. Gardner's "Dory Book" has a great
            discussion of the evolution of the dory as a response to the
            availability of wide machine-sawn boards and inexpensive iron
            fasteners.

          • stephen@paskey.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
              Exactly. The boats Gardner calls a "semi-dory" have a bottom that's
              squared off at the base of the transom, whereas the boats he calls a
              "dory skiff" come to a point at the base of the transom. (Joel
              White's Shellback dinghy is a dory skiff.)

              By the way, Bolger has designed a boat with a sail that looks much
              like a double-ended surf dory: Sweet Pea. Dynamite can call it
              anything he wants, but PCB himself referred to it as a surf dory in
              BWOM.

              Steve Paskey

              --- In bolger@y..., kwilson800@a... wrote:
              > According to John Gardner, who probably ought to know, a semi-dory
              is a boat that looks like a normal round-sided dory with the back
              third sawed off and a new wider transom installed. A dory skiff,
              OTOH, looks like the same dory with only the back 20% sawed off.
            • Jeff Blunck
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                With all this knowledge about Dories, I ask a question. I know the Pacific
                Dory is build with a flat run and generally a straight run aft. What is the
                advantage other than shallow draft? It seems that it would get pushed
                around severely in a following sea but yet they where designed to be used at
                the mouth of the Columbia where some of the roughest seas in the USA can be
                found. They use it to train the Coast Guard! They are obviously very
                seaworthy boats to Salmon fish 10 to 12 miles out, but what makes them that
                way.

                Or is it just accepted for it's fallacies and used because it's shallow
                draft and can carry a large load.

                I like dories personally, kind of nostalgic looking.

                Jeff

                > Exactly. The boats Gardner calls a "semi-dory" have a bottom that's
                > squared off at the base of the transom, whereas the boats he calls a
                > "dory skiff" come to a point at the base of the transom. (Joel
                > White's Shellback dinghy is a dory skiff.)
                >
                > By the way, Bolger has designed a boat with a sail that looks much
                > like a double-ended surf dory: Sweet Pea. Dynamite can call it
                > anything he wants, but PCB himself referred to it as a surf dory in
                > BWOM.
                >
                > Steve Paskey
                >
                > --- In bolger@y..., kwilson800@a... wrote:
                > > According to John Gardner, who probably ought to know, a semi-dory
                > is a boat that looks like a normal round-sided dory with the back
                > third sawed off and a new wider transom installed. A dory skiff,
                > OTOH, looks like the same dory with only the back 20% sawed off.

                01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

              • Harry W. James
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                  They go into the breaking sea/surf very well at slow speeds as long as
                  the bottom is strong enough when they fall off a wave top. . I never
                  ran down wind in real weather, but it tracked absolutely straight in
                  25kts and 6-8 ft swells with whitecaps. You don't go at displacement
                  speeds, you surf or run off the top into the next swell.

                  HJ

                • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 3, 2001
                    Pacific City dories used to be much more dory-like. Harry V. Sucher took
                    the lines of a "modern 20' Oregon surf dory" he found at Depoe Bay in 1958,
                    it's a bit wider (top and bottom) than a bank dory, with quite a bit more
                    rocker, but is doube-ended on the bottom with a tombstone transom. Kinda
                    like a small St. Pierre dory. A friend of mine has an even older version in
                    his yard that's double-ended, with no transom at all. What happened is that
                    powerful outboards got cheaper and the boats started spreading out aft and
                    became planing boats that look a lot like skiffs. The old boats ran at
                    displacement speed and look like they were seaworthy enough to ride out
                    some nasty weather, the new style boats' strategy is to outrun the weather
                    and ride out the storms safely sitting on their trailer while their crews
                    sit in a nice warm tavern and listen to the wind howl. Sounds good to me.
                    <g> With the more accurate weather prediction we have today the strategy
                    works fine, and the faster new boats can fish farther offshore (the dories
                    are day fishermen, they have to get to the fishing grounds and back in the
                    same day).

                    The Oregon dories weren't designed for the Columbia River bar, they
                    developed for fishing off the beach, mostly at Pacific City (SW of
                    Tillamook). They've been used all up and down the coast though, the
                    new-style boats are often used as day fishing boats out of real harbors,
                    never being launched off a beach.

                    On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 14:56:03 -0600, Jeff wrote:
                    > With all this knowledge about Dories, I ask a question. I know the Pacific
                    > Dory is build with a flat run and generally a straight run aft. What is the
                    > advantage other than shallow draft? It seems that it would get pushed
                    > around severely in a following sea but yet they where designed to be used at
                    > the mouth of the Columbia where some of the roughest seas in the USA can be
                    > found. They use it to train the Coast Guard! They are obviously very
                    > seaworthy boats to Salmon fish 10 to 12 miles out, but what makes them that
                    > way.

                    John <jkohnen@...>
                    http://www.boat-links.com/
                    deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Benjamin Franklin>