Re: Why not a Dory?

  • david galvin
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
      I think that the most appealing aspects of the dory are its strong
      sheer and the *apparent* simplicity of construction (anyone thinking
      that dories are simple to build should try to sort out the angles on
      a tombstone transom). Bolger has answered the construction question
      with numerous sharpie designs. Strong sheer and simply construction
      can be found in many boats that are most decidedly not dories. George
      Buehler's V-bottomed chine boats come immediately to mind, as does
      Bolger's own _Burgandy_ (a modified sharpie inspired by
      L.F.Herreshoff's _Rozinante_ design). Most of the recreational
      vessels we call dories, including Bolger's Light Dory, are only
      dories in general outline. Even the Swampscot dories have lost their
      essential "dory nature". I doubt they could easily nest on the deck
      of a Glouchester schooner, and they could certainly not carry a ton
      of dead cod any distance in a seaway.

      Anyone enamored of the idea of a sailing dory should look to the many
      other simply-built boats with strong sheer and with better sailing
      characteristics than a true dory. After all, you could build such a
      boat and call it a "modified" or "semi-" dory. Hardly anyone would
      know the difference, anyway ;o)

      porky

      --- In bolger@y..., pateson@c... wrote:
      > You sound like a Dam Cominist! (-;
      >
      > Just waiting to see what, my frind, Mr. Step has
      > to say about that "Greed Rant"
      >
      > Well said by both of you.
      > A dory was originaly a work boat,
      > and was (and is)a wonderful design.
      > With the accidental "Beautiful Lines"
      > Perfectly suited for it's use.
      > Just a couple of steps up the evolutionary chain
      > from the plank canoe.
      > I guess the question is, When does a change in the
      > very design that makes a "Dory" a "Dory" make it something
      > else?
      > They "Can" be modified into other useful boats, rowing,
      > power or sail, but are they then still a "Dory"?
      >
      > And, What the heck is a "Semi-Dory"?
      > As in "Semi-planing, Semi-dory". I get confused
      > at that point.
      >
      > Pat Patteson
      > Molalla, Oregon
    • Harry W. James
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
        As in Oregon Dory or Pacific Dory? They arn't dories, but skiffs with
        highly flared sides.

      • PseudoDion3@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
          I think that this is one of the most interesting threads I've seen.
          Saying the word "Dory" conjures up a whole range of things. It is
          truly a magical word.
          Now, while I have enjoyed the thread, I have also learned a
          great deal for which I am grateful. I would like to thank those who
          have pointed out to me how Dories have developed in an effort to
          increase stability and sail carrying capacity. As to my comments on
          Sharpies, know only that I had in mind the modified designs Bolger
          has developed over the years. I rarely see folks sailing traditional
          sharpies, but many seem to go for the designs that Bolger and
          Michalak base on traditional sharpie thinking.

          Dennis Marshall
        • JohnSpoering@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
            Hi All -
            It might be interesting to look at th "San Francisco Pelican".
            A combination of the oriental Sampan and the American Dory. Plans are
            available in 12' 16' and 18' lengths Check out the website -
            http://www.ns.net/~jheidgr/pub/pelican.htm

            Go to Information about the designer (Bill Short - fastinating)
            at the bottom of the page then view the photos and other links.

            It's a very interesting design - a 12 footer has been sailed to
            Hawaii and there is a lot of class racing going on especially on the west
            coast.
            Plans are available at a very reasonable price from Bills wife Murial at :
            pelicansailboat@...

            A friend and I are just starting to enlarge this design to 24'
            and there are several 20'rs now sailing.

            Aloha - Jack Spoering - Ft Lauderdale,
            Fl

          • kwilson800@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
              According to John Gardner, who probably ought to know, a semi-dory is
              a boat that looks like a normal round-sided dory with the back third
              sawed off and a new wider transom installed. A dory skiff, OTOH,
              looks like the same dory with only the back 20% sawed off. Power
              semi-dories often have completely flat bottoms. If Cartopper is a
              dory skiff adapted to taped-seam construction, then Diablo is a semi-
              dory simplified the same way. Gardner's "Dory Book" has a great
              discussion of the evolution of the dory as a response to the
              availability of wide machine-sawn boards and inexpensive iron
              fasteners.

            • stephen@paskey.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                Exactly. The boats Gardner calls a "semi-dory" have a bottom that's
                squared off at the base of the transom, whereas the boats he calls a
                "dory skiff" come to a point at the base of the transom. (Joel
                White's Shellback dinghy is a dory skiff.)

                By the way, Bolger has designed a boat with a sail that looks much
                like a double-ended surf dory: Sweet Pea. Dynamite can call it
                anything he wants, but PCB himself referred to it as a surf dory in
                BWOM.

                Steve Paskey

                --- In bolger@y..., kwilson800@a... wrote:
                > According to John Gardner, who probably ought to know, a semi-dory
                is a boat that looks like a normal round-sided dory with the back
                third sawed off and a new wider transom installed. A dory skiff,
                OTOH, looks like the same dory with only the back 20% sawed off.
              • Jeff Blunck
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                  With all this knowledge about Dories, I ask a question. I know the Pacific
                  Dory is build with a flat run and generally a straight run aft. What is the
                  advantage other than shallow draft? It seems that it would get pushed
                  around severely in a following sea but yet they where designed to be used at
                  the mouth of the Columbia where some of the roughest seas in the USA can be
                  found. They use it to train the Coast Guard! They are obviously very
                  seaworthy boats to Salmon fish 10 to 12 miles out, but what makes them that
                  way.

                  Or is it just accepted for it's fallacies and used because it's shallow
                  draft and can carry a large load.

                  I like dories personally, kind of nostalgic looking.

                  Jeff

                  > Exactly. The boats Gardner calls a "semi-dory" have a bottom that's
                  > squared off at the base of the transom, whereas the boats he calls a
                  > "dory skiff" come to a point at the base of the transom. (Joel
                  > White's Shellback dinghy is a dory skiff.)
                  >
                  > By the way, Bolger has designed a boat with a sail that looks much
                  > like a double-ended surf dory: Sweet Pea. Dynamite can call it
                  > anything he wants, but PCB himself referred to it as a surf dory in
                  > BWOM.
                  >
                  > Steve Paskey
                  >
                  > --- In bolger@y..., kwilson800@a... wrote:
                  > > According to John Gardner, who probably ought to know, a semi-dory
                  > is a boat that looks like a normal round-sided dory with the back
                  > third sawed off and a new wider transom installed. A dory skiff,
                  > OTOH, looks like the same dory with only the back 20% sawed off.

                  01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                • Harry W. James
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                    They go into the breaking sea/surf very well at slow speeds as long as
                    the bottom is strong enough when they fall off a wave top. . I never
                    ran down wind in real weather, but it tracked absolutely straight in
                    25kts and 6-8 ft swells with whitecaps. You don't go at displacement
                    speeds, you surf or run off the top into the next swell.

                    HJ

                  • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 3, 2001
                      Pacific City dories used to be much more dory-like. Harry V. Sucher took
                      the lines of a "modern 20' Oregon surf dory" he found at Depoe Bay in 1958,
                      it's a bit wider (top and bottom) than a bank dory, with quite a bit more
                      rocker, but is doube-ended on the bottom with a tombstone transom. Kinda
                      like a small St. Pierre dory. A friend of mine has an even older version in
                      his yard that's double-ended, with no transom at all. What happened is that
                      powerful outboards got cheaper and the boats started spreading out aft and
                      became planing boats that look a lot like skiffs. The old boats ran at
                      displacement speed and look like they were seaworthy enough to ride out
                      some nasty weather, the new style boats' strategy is to outrun the weather
                      and ride out the storms safely sitting on their trailer while their crews
                      sit in a nice warm tavern and listen to the wind howl. Sounds good to me.
                      <g> With the more accurate weather prediction we have today the strategy
                      works fine, and the faster new boats can fish farther offshore (the dories
                      are day fishermen, they have to get to the fishing grounds and back in the
                      same day).

                      The Oregon dories weren't designed for the Columbia River bar, they
                      developed for fishing off the beach, mostly at Pacific City (SW of
                      Tillamook). They've been used all up and down the coast though, the
                      new-style boats are often used as day fishing boats out of real harbors,
                      never being launched off a beach.

                      On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 14:56:03 -0600, Jeff wrote:
                      > With all this knowledge about Dories, I ask a question. I know the Pacific
                      > Dory is build with a flat run and generally a straight run aft. What is the
                      > advantage other than shallow draft? It seems that it would get pushed
                      > around severely in a following sea but yet they where designed to be used at
                      > the mouth of the Columbia where some of the roughest seas in the USA can be
                      > found. They use it to train the Coast Guard! They are obviously very
                      > seaworthy boats to Salmon fish 10 to 12 miles out, but what makes them that
                      > way.

                      John <jkohnen@...>
                      http://www.boat-links.com/
                      deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Benjamin Franklin>