Re: Why not a Dory?

  • pateson@colton.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
      You sound like a Dam Cominist! (-;

      Just waiting to see what, my frind, Mr. Step has
      to say about that "Greed Rant"

      Well said by both of you.
      A dory was originaly a work boat,
      and was (and is)a wonderful design.
      With the accidental "Beautiful Lines"
      Perfectly suited for it's use.
      Just a couple of steps up the evolutionary chain
      from the plank canoe.
      I guess the question is, When does a change in the
      very design that makes a "Dory" a "Dory" make it something
      else?
      They "Can" be modified into other useful boats, rowing,
      power or sail, but are they then still a "Dory"?

      And, What the heck is a "Semi-Dory"?
      As in "Semi-planing, Semi-dory". I get confused
      at that point.

      Pat Patteson
      Molalla, Oregon
    • david galvin
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
        I think that the most appealing aspects of the dory are its strong
        sheer and the *apparent* simplicity of construction (anyone thinking
        that dories are simple to build should try to sort out the angles on
        a tombstone transom). Bolger has answered the construction question
        with numerous sharpie designs. Strong sheer and simply construction
        can be found in many boats that are most decidedly not dories. George
        Buehler's V-bottomed chine boats come immediately to mind, as does
        Bolger's own _Burgandy_ (a modified sharpie inspired by
        L.F.Herreshoff's _Rozinante_ design). Most of the recreational
        vessels we call dories, including Bolger's Light Dory, are only
        dories in general outline. Even the Swampscot dories have lost their
        essential "dory nature". I doubt they could easily nest on the deck
        of a Glouchester schooner, and they could certainly not carry a ton
        of dead cod any distance in a seaway.

        Anyone enamored of the idea of a sailing dory should look to the many
        other simply-built boats with strong sheer and with better sailing
        characteristics than a true dory. After all, you could build such a
        boat and call it a "modified" or "semi-" dory. Hardly anyone would
        know the difference, anyway ;o)

        porky

        --- In bolger@y..., pateson@c... wrote:
        > You sound like a Dam Cominist! (-;
        >
        > Just waiting to see what, my frind, Mr. Step has
        > to say about that "Greed Rant"
        >
        > Well said by both of you.
        > A dory was originaly a work boat,
        > and was (and is)a wonderful design.
        > With the accidental "Beautiful Lines"
        > Perfectly suited for it's use.
        > Just a couple of steps up the evolutionary chain
        > from the plank canoe.
        > I guess the question is, When does a change in the
        > very design that makes a "Dory" a "Dory" make it something
        > else?
        > They "Can" be modified into other useful boats, rowing,
        > power or sail, but are they then still a "Dory"?
        >
        > And, What the heck is a "Semi-Dory"?
        > As in "Semi-planing, Semi-dory". I get confused
        > at that point.
        >
        > Pat Patteson
        > Molalla, Oregon
      • Harry W. James
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
          As in Oregon Dory or Pacific Dory? They arn't dories, but skiffs with
          highly flared sides.

        • PseudoDion3@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
            I think that this is one of the most interesting threads I've seen.
            Saying the word "Dory" conjures up a whole range of things. It is
            truly a magical word.
            Now, while I have enjoyed the thread, I have also learned a
            great deal for which I am grateful. I would like to thank those who
            have pointed out to me how Dories have developed in an effort to
            increase stability and sail carrying capacity. As to my comments on
            Sharpies, know only that I had in mind the modified designs Bolger
            has developed over the years. I rarely see folks sailing traditional
            sharpies, but many seem to go for the designs that Bolger and
            Michalak base on traditional sharpie thinking.

            Dennis Marshall
          • JohnSpoering@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
              Hi All -
              It might be interesting to look at th "San Francisco Pelican".
              A combination of the oriental Sampan and the American Dory. Plans are
              available in 12' 16' and 18' lengths Check out the website -
              http://www.ns.net/~jheidgr/pub/pelican.htm

              Go to Information about the designer (Bill Short - fastinating)
              at the bottom of the page then view the photos and other links.

              It's a very interesting design - a 12 footer has been sailed to
              Hawaii and there is a lot of class racing going on especially on the west
              coast.
              Plans are available at a very reasonable price from Bills wife Murial at :
              pelicansailboat@...

              A friend and I are just starting to enlarge this design to 24'
              and there are several 20'rs now sailing.

              Aloha - Jack Spoering - Ft Lauderdale,
              Fl

            • kwilson800@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                According to John Gardner, who probably ought to know, a semi-dory is
                a boat that looks like a normal round-sided dory with the back third
                sawed off and a new wider transom installed. A dory skiff, OTOH,
                looks like the same dory with only the back 20% sawed off. Power
                semi-dories often have completely flat bottoms. If Cartopper is a
                dory skiff adapted to taped-seam construction, then Diablo is a semi-
                dory simplified the same way. Gardner's "Dory Book" has a great
                discussion of the evolution of the dory as a response to the
                availability of wide machine-sawn boards and inexpensive iron
                fasteners.

              • stephen@paskey.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                  Exactly. The boats Gardner calls a "semi-dory" have a bottom that's
                  squared off at the base of the transom, whereas the boats he calls a
                  "dory skiff" come to a point at the base of the transom. (Joel
                  White's Shellback dinghy is a dory skiff.)

                  By the way, Bolger has designed a boat with a sail that looks much
                  like a double-ended surf dory: Sweet Pea. Dynamite can call it
                  anything he wants, but PCB himself referred to it as a surf dory in
                  BWOM.

                  Steve Paskey

                  --- In bolger@y..., kwilson800@a... wrote:
                  > According to John Gardner, who probably ought to know, a semi-dory
                  is a boat that looks like a normal round-sided dory with the back
                  third sawed off and a new wider transom installed. A dory skiff,
                  OTOH, looks like the same dory with only the back 20% sawed off.
                • Jeff Blunck
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                    With all this knowledge about Dories, I ask a question. I know the Pacific
                    Dory is build with a flat run and generally a straight run aft. What is the
                    advantage other than shallow draft? It seems that it would get pushed
                    around severely in a following sea but yet they where designed to be used at
                    the mouth of the Columbia where some of the roughest seas in the USA can be
                    found. They use it to train the Coast Guard! They are obviously very
                    seaworthy boats to Salmon fish 10 to 12 miles out, but what makes them that
                    way.

                    Or is it just accepted for it's fallacies and used because it's shallow
                    draft and can carry a large load.

                    I like dories personally, kind of nostalgic looking.

                    Jeff

                    > Exactly. The boats Gardner calls a "semi-dory" have a bottom that's
                    > squared off at the base of the transom, whereas the boats he calls a
                    > "dory skiff" come to a point at the base of the transom. (Joel
                    > White's Shellback dinghy is a dory skiff.)
                    >
                    > By the way, Bolger has designed a boat with a sail that looks much
                    > like a double-ended surf dory: Sweet Pea. Dynamite can call it
                    > anything he wants, but PCB himself referred to it as a surf dory in
                    > BWOM.
                    >
                    > Steve Paskey
                    >
                    > --- In bolger@y..., kwilson800@a... wrote:
                    > > According to John Gardner, who probably ought to know, a semi-dory
                    > is a boat that looks like a normal round-sided dory with the back
                    > third sawed off and a new wider transom installed. A dory skiff,
                    > OTOH, looks like the same dory with only the back 20% sawed off.

                    01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                  • Harry W. James
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                      They go into the breaking sea/surf very well at slow speeds as long as
                      the bottom is strong enough when they fall off a wave top. . I never
                      ran down wind in real weather, but it tracked absolutely straight in
                      25kts and 6-8 ft swells with whitecaps. You don't go at displacement
                      speeds, you surf or run off the top into the next swell.

                      HJ

                    • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 3, 2001
                        Pacific City dories used to be much more dory-like. Harry V. Sucher took
                        the lines of a "modern 20' Oregon surf dory" he found at Depoe Bay in 1958,
                        it's a bit wider (top and bottom) than a bank dory, with quite a bit more
                        rocker, but is doube-ended on the bottom with a tombstone transom. Kinda
                        like a small St. Pierre dory. A friend of mine has an even older version in
                        his yard that's double-ended, with no transom at all. What happened is that
                        powerful outboards got cheaper and the boats started spreading out aft and
                        became planing boats that look a lot like skiffs. The old boats ran at
                        displacement speed and look like they were seaworthy enough to ride out
                        some nasty weather, the new style boats' strategy is to outrun the weather
                        and ride out the storms safely sitting on their trailer while their crews
                        sit in a nice warm tavern and listen to the wind howl. Sounds good to me.
                        <g> With the more accurate weather prediction we have today the strategy
                        works fine, and the faster new boats can fish farther offshore (the dories
                        are day fishermen, they have to get to the fishing grounds and back in the
                        same day).

                        The Oregon dories weren't designed for the Columbia River bar, they
                        developed for fishing off the beach, mostly at Pacific City (SW of
                        Tillamook). They've been used all up and down the coast though, the
                        new-style boats are often used as day fishing boats out of real harbors,
                        never being launched off a beach.

                        On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 14:56:03 -0600, Jeff wrote:
                        > With all this knowledge about Dories, I ask a question. I know the Pacific
                        > Dory is build with a flat run and generally a straight run aft. What is the
                        > advantage other than shallow draft? It seems that it would get pushed
                        > around severely in a following sea but yet they where designed to be used at
                        > the mouth of the Columbia where some of the roughest seas in the USA can be
                        > found. They use it to train the Coast Guard! They are obviously very
                        > seaworthy boats to Salmon fish 10 to 12 miles out, but what makes them that
                        > way.

                        John <jkohnen@...>
                        http://www.boat-links.com/
                        deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Benjamin Franklin>