Re: 2" hole

  • willsamson@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
      > If it's only the top that is causing grief, why not have a wider
      piece
      > welded to the top for the tiller to attach to? It could be square
      sided to
      > allow more bearing surface, which would cut down the wiggle even
      more.

      I'd thought about that, but the wider bit at the top couldn't be
      galvanised in situ, and would prevent the rudder and stock from being
      drawn out through the hole for galvanising - unless you know of an
      effective alternative to hot-dip galvanising that can be done on the
      boat?

      At the moment, Chuck Leinweber's suggestion of a pilot 'plug' fixed
      to the 2" auger bit sounds feasible. I could make the plug from
      hardwood and epoxy it onto my 2" bit. I hope that would be strong
      enough - and then it could be removed later. Alternatively, a piece
      of copper tubing could be used as the plug, and soldered onto the 2"
      bit. No great problem to un-solder it afterwards.

      Thanks again for all your thoughtful replies.

      Bill
    • Levent OZDEMIR
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
        hi all,

        We have prepared a web site for our yacht building
        firm, and I wish to submit its URL to yachting/
        boating portals like boatbuilder.com
        But I dont know much sites. I searched on yahoo but I
        found only 4 or 5 marine directories.
        So at this point I need your help to find such portals
        and submit my site.
        Can you send me URLs of these portals?

        Thank you

        Levent OZDEMIR
        Naval Architect
        http://www.orionyachting.com

        http://phone.yahoo.com
      • richard@spellingbusiness.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
          http://www.mcmaster.com/cgi/loadpage.cgi?pagenum=1854&descid=7296

          Look at the bottom under "cold galvanizing compounds"

          --- In bolger@y..., willsamson@y... wrote:
          > > If it's only the top that is causing grief, why not have a wider
          > piece
          > > welded to the top for the tiller to attach to? It could be
          square
          > sided to
          > > allow more bearing surface, which would cut down the wiggle even
          > more.
          >
          > I'd thought about that, but the wider bit at the top couldn't be
          > galvanised in situ, and would prevent the rudder and stock from
          being
          > drawn out through the hole for galvanising - unless you know of an
          > effective alternative to hot-dip galvanising that can be done on
          the
          > boat?
          >
          > At the moment, Chuck Leinweber's suggestion of a pilot 'plug' fixed
          > to the 2" auger bit sounds feasible. I could make the plug from
          > hardwood and epoxy it onto my 2" bit. I hope that would be strong
          > enough - and then it could be removed later. Alternatively, a
          piece
          > of copper tubing could be used as the plug, and soldered onto the
          2"
          > bit. No great problem to un-solder it afterwards.
          >
          > Thanks again for all your thoughtful replies.
          >
          > Bill
        • Harry W. James
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 27, 2001
            I was going to respond to this and forgot. The best site of maritime
            links on the web.

            http://www.boat-links.com/boatlink.html

            I am sure somebody sent it to you but if not, then here it is.

            HJ