2" hole

  • Orr, Jamie
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2001
      Hi -- My earlier reply to Bill's note was returned due to server problems.
      This may be irrelevant now but here it is anyway!

      Hi Bill

      If it's only the top that is causing grief, why not have a wider piece
      welded to the top for the tiller to attach to? It could be square sided to
      allow more bearing surface, which would cut down the wiggle even more.

      For cutting a bigger hole, I've seen (in books, maybe Chappelle's) cutters
      mounted on shafts that are the same diameter as the original hole -- that
      keeps it centred. You could possibly do a home made cutter with a hardwood
      shaft and the cutter from an extension bit from a bit and brace set.

      Jamie
    • willsamson@yahoo.co.uk
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
        > If it's only the top that is causing grief, why not have a wider
        piece
        > welded to the top for the tiller to attach to? It could be square
        sided to
        > allow more bearing surface, which would cut down the wiggle even
        more.

        I'd thought about that, but the wider bit at the top couldn't be
        galvanised in situ, and would prevent the rudder and stock from being
        drawn out through the hole for galvanising - unless you know of an
        effective alternative to hot-dip galvanising that can be done on the
        boat?

        At the moment, Chuck Leinweber's suggestion of a pilot 'plug' fixed
        to the 2" auger bit sounds feasible. I could make the plug from
        hardwood and epoxy it onto my 2" bit. I hope that would be strong
        enough - and then it could be removed later. Alternatively, a piece
        of copper tubing could be used as the plug, and soldered onto the 2"
        bit. No great problem to un-solder it afterwards.

        Thanks again for all your thoughtful replies.

        Bill
      • Levent OZDEMIR
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
          hi all,

          We have prepared a web site for our yacht building
          firm, and I wish to submit its URL to yachting/
          boating portals like boatbuilder.com
          But I dont know much sites. I searched on yahoo but I
          found only 4 or 5 marine directories.
          So at this point I need your help to find such portals
          and submit my site.
          Can you send me URLs of these portals?

          Thank you

          Levent OZDEMIR
          Naval Architect
          http://www.orionyachting.com

          http://phone.yahoo.com
        • richard@spellingbusiness.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
            http://www.mcmaster.com/cgi/loadpage.cgi?pagenum=1854&descid=7296

            Look at the bottom under "cold galvanizing compounds"

            --- In bolger@y..., willsamson@y... wrote:
            > > If it's only the top that is causing grief, why not have a wider
            > piece
            > > welded to the top for the tiller to attach to? It could be
            square
            > sided to
            > > allow more bearing surface, which would cut down the wiggle even
            > more.
            >
            > I'd thought about that, but the wider bit at the top couldn't be
            > galvanised in situ, and would prevent the rudder and stock from
            being
            > drawn out through the hole for galvanising - unless you know of an
            > effective alternative to hot-dip galvanising that can be done on
            the
            > boat?
            >
            > At the moment, Chuck Leinweber's suggestion of a pilot 'plug' fixed
            > to the 2" auger bit sounds feasible. I could make the plug from
            > hardwood and epoxy it onto my 2" bit. I hope that would be strong
            > enough - and then it could be removed later. Alternatively, a
            piece
            > of copper tubing could be used as the plug, and soldered onto the
            2"
            > bit. No great problem to un-solder it afterwards.
            >
            > Thanks again for all your thoughtful replies.
            >
            > Bill
          • Harry W. James
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 27, 2001
              I was going to respond to this and forgot. The best site of maritime
              links on the web.

              http://www.boat-links.com/boatlink.html

              I am sure somebody sent it to you but if not, then here it is.

              HJ