[bolger] Shopping for lumber

  • Giuseppe 'Pippo' Bianco
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 27, 1999
      Hi all
      this afternoon I spent the hour that my wife graciously agreed to let
      me spend by myself (I'll have two or three tomorrow!!!) going to a
      lumberyard which was suggested to me by a friend. Wow, what a surprise:
      knowledgeable and kind people (family business), a big stock of wood
      and plywood (including marine okoume plywood), ten minutes drive from
      my place. Unbelievable. A bit expensive maybe, but a pleasure to deal
      with. I bought a big solid mahogany plank, perfectly seasoned. In about
      20 minutes, while I was playing with their beautiful dog (a big boxer),
      they have sawn and planed the big thing into one 4 cm thick and four 2
      cm thick planks, each 14 cm wide and 2 meters long (ahem, 70 US$, how
      does it sound?). And yes, they have long douglas fir planks for my
      masts!
      Best, Pippo
    • GHC
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 27, 1999
        Lumber here is sold by the board foot, 12" by 12" by 1". I think we can
        get mahoganies for maybe $5-8/brd.ft.

        At 02:48 PM 12/27/99 -0800, you wrote:
        >Hi all
        >this afternoon I spent the hour that my wife graciously agreed to let
        >me spend by myself (I'll have two or three tomorrow!!!) going to a
        >lumberyard which was suggested to me by a friend. Wow, what a surprise:
        >knowledgeable and kind people (family business), a big stock of wood
        >and plywood (including marine okoume plywood), ten minutes drive from
        >my place. Unbelievable. A bit expensive maybe, but a pleasure to deal
        >with. I bought a big solid mahogany plank, perfectly seasoned. In about
        >20 minutes, while I was playing with their beautiful dog (a big boxer),
        >they have sawn and planed the big thing into one 4 cm thick and four 2
        >cm thick planks, each 14 cm wide and 2 meters long (ahem, 70 US$, how
        >does it sound?). And yes, they have long douglas fir planks for my
        >masts!
        >Best, Pippo

        >FreeLotto.com is the only internet site to offer three free chances
        >a day to win $1,000,000.00. We've already had two $1,000,000.00
        >jackpot winners and thousands of other cash prizes. You could be
        >a $1,000,000.00 winner tonight!
        >http://click.egroups.com/1/445/5/_/3457/_/946334945
        >
        >eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/

      • Giuseppe 'Pippo' Bianco
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 27, 1999
          Hi Gregg. So it appears I just bough about 20 board foot for 70
          dollars... Well, my wife will be happy to know how wise and conscious
          her husband is!
          Best, Pippo

          P.S.: happy holidays (well, the remaining ones!)

          ghc <ghart-@...> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=1460
          > Lumber here is sold by the board foot, 12" by 12" by 1". I think we
          can
          > get mahoganies for maybe $5-8/brd.ft.
        • Don Baldwinson
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 27, 1999
            "giuseppe 'pippo' bianco" <pippobianc-@...> wrote:
            And yes, they have long douglas fir planks for my
            > masts!
            > Best, Pippo

            Pippo, I built my spars from douglas fir, (from USA) at great expense,
            and lighter more suitable timbers cost twice as much.
            If you decide to use douglas fir, be careful and select the lightest
            possible planks. My main mast weighs a tonne, even hollowed out. I
            don't like this weight at all in the nose of my boat. Next winter I'm
            going to take the electric planer to it and hope.
            This may sound heretical, but if I was doing it again, I would get a
            tapered aluminium mast made. I investigated this before I bought the
            fir, and the cost was higher but not hugely more.
            Don