Museums?

  • Dirk Leas
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 29, 2001
      Recently relocated to the right coast and am looking for some good boat
      museums -- any recommendations around the Princeton, NJ area (e.g. w/n a
      couple of hour drive)?

      TIA,
    • pvanderw@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 29, 2001
        > Recently relocated to the right coast and am looking for some good
        boat museums -- any recommendations around the Princeton, NJ area.

        The Seaport Museum in Philadelphia is quite interesting. The current
        name may be the Liberty Seaport Museum. It's right on the river. Next
        to it are some historical ships, including one of Teddy Roosevelt's
        Great White Fleet and a submarine. The Museum has some very nice
        Tuckups and other small boats, but the real focus is on the history
        of the port of Phila. They also build boats at the Boatshop on the
        Water.

        There is South Street Seaport in Manhattan. Take the train.
        Embarassing to say, I have never been there.

        Mystic Seaport will take about 3 1/2 hours. The Connecticut River
        Museum in Essex CT is hardly worth a trip on its own, but is well
        worth seeing if you are in the area.

        Peter
      • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 29, 2001
          ....and if you ever make the time to get up to Mystic Seaport,you may
          as well make more time,carry on a bit further east and check out the
          whaling museum in New Bedford.Great history of your countrys
          involvement in that particular industry,some really fine models
          downstairs and one really big model that would make any amateur proud!
          And to cap off your visit,you can head up-hill a block away and spend
          the night at a B&B that was once the home of Herman Melville sister
          and where the author of Moby Dick reputedly spent some time.
          Peter Lenihan,
          recalling some mighty fine blueberry crêpes and english cream
          sauce,served for breakfast in the above mentioned B&B,so long ago....

        • pvanderw@optonline.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 29, 2001
            Goodness gracious, Peter, if he is going to go all that way, he has
            to stop at the Herreshoff Museum in Bristol, RI as well. - PHV

            --- In bolger@y..., ellengaest@b... wrote:
            > ....and if you ever make the time to get up to Mystic Seaport,you
            may
            > as well make more time,carry on a bit further east and check out
            the
            > whaling museum in New Bedford.Great history of your countrys
            > involvement in that particular industry,some really fine models
            > downstairs and one really big model that would make any amateur
            proud!
            > And to cap off your visit,you can head up-hill a block away and
            spend
            > the night at a B&B that was once the home of Herman Melville sister
            > and where the author of Moby Dick reputedly spent some time.
            > Peter Lenihan,
            > recalling some mighty fine blueberry crêpes and english cream
            > sauce,served for breakfast in the above mentioned B&B,so long
            ago....

            > --- In bolger@y..., pvanderw@o... wrote:
            > > > Recently relocated to the right coast and am looking for some
            good
            > > boat museums -- any recommendations around the Princeton, NJ area.
            > >

            > > Mystic Seaport will take about 3 1/2 hours. The Connecticut River
            > > Museum in Essex CT is hardly worth a trip on its own, but is well
            > > worth seeing if you are in the area.
            > >
            > > Peter
          • david galvin
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 29, 2001
              Dirk,

              If you want to spend a weekend leaf-peeping, and find the smell of
              balsam as pleasant as that of the sea, you might want to check out
              the Adirondack Museum in Blue Lake, NY. They have guideboats aplenty,
              and much more. It's a long drive for you, though....

              porky

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 29, 2001
                Peter,
                Indeed he would/should! Sounds like a rather pleasent road trip
                is in order.Well worth any time off away from les banalité de la vie!
                I sure know I would do it again,if I hadn't blown most of my vacation
                time cruising off to the Lake Champlain Bolger Messabout,which was
                very very nice.Too bad you weren't able to come by!
                Sincerely,
                Peter Lenihan

              • stephen@paskey.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 29, 2001
                  If you're willing to drive south a few hours (Mapquest says 4 hours,
                  for 165 miles from Princeton), the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum is
                  quite nice. They've got exhibits on the working life of the bay
                  (oystering, etc.), a Chesapeake-style screwpile lighthouse,
                  skipjacks, and -- my favorite -- the small boat shed, with types you
                  won't see to the north, like the Sharptown Barge (a narrow flat-
                  bottomed skiff for shad fishing), log canoes (which are still raced
                  under sail), double-ended crabbing skiffs, and "Bessie Lee," a lovely
                  18 foot ketch-rigged v-bottomed sailing skiff.

                  As it happens, next weekend's a great time to be there, as the
                  museum's hosting the Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival (details at
                  www.cbmm.org). Last year a Micro and Martha Jane showed up, in
                  addition to lots of traditional small boats, including a couple of
                  lovely restored sailing canoes.

                  Steve Paskey

                  --- In bolger@y..., "Dirk Leas" <dirkLeas@m...> wrote:
                  > Recently relocated to the right coast and am looking for some good
                  boat
                  > museums -- any recommendations around the Princeton, NJ area (e.g.
                  w/n a
                  > couple of hour drive)?
                  >
                  > TIA,
                • Ray Worob
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 30, 2001
                    Another option which I don't think was mentioned yet is the Chesapeake Bay
                    Maritime Museum in St. Michaels Maryland. However, this is probably about a
                    three plus hour drive for you. This coming weekend October 5th, 6th and 7th
                    they are having there annual Mid-Atlantic Small Craft festival. Ray

                    >From: "Dirk Leas" <dirkLeas@...>
                    >To: <openboat@yahoogroups.com>, <bolger@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: [bolger] Museums?
                    >Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 08:48:01 -0400
                    >
                    >Recently relocated to the right coast and am looking for some good boat
                    >museums -- any recommendations around the Princeton, NJ area (e.g. w/n a
                    >couple of hour drive)?
                    >
                    >TIA,

                  • Clyde S. Wisner
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 1, 2001
                      Come right down the coast to the Eastern Shore of MD, to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Mus. at St
                      Michaels, just West of Easton. If you do it this weekend, you'll find the Mid Atlantic Small Craft
                      Fest, which is quite a gathering. Clyde

                    • tetherin@jersey.net
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 3, 2001
                        Not quite a museum, but the AJ Meerwald might be interesting to
                        you. It is a restored South Jersey oyster schooner that will take
                        you for a sail. There used to be several hundred of these boats
                        working the Delaware Bay before the oysters got sick. The Delaware
                        Bay Schooner Project is working on establishing a museum to the Bay
                        and the oystering industry. Prhaps you'd like to help? Check out
                        http://www.ajmeerwald.org/.

                        Tom Etherington
                        Just starting to qualify as volunteer Meerwald crew.

                      • pvanderw@optonline.net
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 4, 2001
                          I just became aware of this one: The Long Island Maritime Museum.

                          See http://www.limaritime.org/

                          PHV