Condolences from Italy

  • Giuseppe 'Pippo' Bianco
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 13, 2001
      Dear all, I sincerely hope that at least nobody of those contributing
      to the list got hurt in the NYC/DC tragedy. I couldn't believe the
      news when I first realized what was going on.
      Best whishes everybody. Pippo.
    • jkck@spiritone.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 13, 2001
        --- In bolger@y..., "Giuseppe 'Pippo' Bianco" <giuseppe.bianco@a...>
        wrote:
        > Dear all, I sincerely hope that at least nobody of those
        contributing
        > to the list got hurt in the NYC/DC tragedy. I couldn't believe the
        > news when I first realized what was going on.
        > Best whishes everybody. Pippo.

        David Ryan, please let us know you are OK.

        Carter K.
      • jmbell@mindspring.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 13, 2001
          --- In bolger@y..., jkck@s... wrote:

          > David Ryan, please let us know you are OK.
          >
          > Carter K.

          FWIW, David's address in his sig line is a good deal north of the
          affected area. (West 126th St.)

          Let's just hope and pray that neither he, nor any of his family have
          come to harm.

          JB
        • David Ryan
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 14, 2001
            I haven't seen Tim Wilson post on the list in sometime. Perhaps he's
            not subscribing anymore. I do know his office in in midtown. Tim, if
            you're out there, give us a shout.

            I was bobbing up and down in the waters off Ditch Plains Beach in
            Montauk when word came into the line-up that the WTC Towers had been
            struck by airliners and collapsed. At that moment I assumed my uncle,
            who had worked on the 84th floor of the North Tower for many years,
            was dead. Not knowing what else to do, I stayed and surfed for
            another hour till cold, hunger and anxiety drove me from the water. I
            didn't yet know that my sister-in-law had recently been transferred
            by her company from a midtown office to the 28th floor of the South
            Tower.

            When I returned home I found his wife on the sofa crying. Her morning
            e-mail check brought "Where are you?" and "Are you okay?" She turned
            on the television just in time to see the first tower fall.

            In fact, she herself had nearly been in the city rather than Montauk
            that morning. Late Monday afternoon, after a two week cross country
            trip, her car broke down on the Jersey side of the George Washington
            Bridge. Given the hour, she assumed that it would not be fixed until
            the next day, and she would have to spend the night in the city
            alone. However, the Arab run garage was not about to have her spend
            another night away from her family, and at 9:00PM she was on the road
            to Montauk.

            Before I could ask, she told him that my Uncle Jack hadn't gone to
            work that morning. He was okay. Then she told me about her sister's
            successful evacuation from the building. She was also okay.

            So far, no one we personally know has been lost, but it's hard to
            imagine that that will still be true by the time the week is up.
            Every other person I surf with has lost someone. In particular, a
            friend recently retired from the fire department lost at least six
            brothers from his fire house and as you all know, hundreds more from
            the force. In a strange twist of fate it was his former company that
            was assigned to the floor where my sister-in-law worked.

            Amazingly enough, everyone worked in my uncle's office also got out
            alive. But there are also companies that can't account for 90% of
            their colleagues.

            As for myself, my mind still can't comprehend what happened. I feel
            my perception flip, like a switch, between what I rationally know to
            be true and what I can emotionally accept. At night I wake with the
            news images in my head wishing it was a dream, but knowing it isn't.
            The twin towers are the first part of the Manhattan sky line that we
            see when we drive into the city. More than anything, it is that view
            of the skyline and knowing that I'm a part of it that makes me feel
            like I've done something with myself. To think that a huge chunk of
            that skyline has been ripped from it is unbelievable. To contemplate
            human loss unbearable.

            So I am not dead. I am alive and well in Montauk with my wife and
            daughter and dog. So far, no one I love is dead or hurt. Tomorrow my
            wife and daughter and dog and I will go into the city where our
            office and apartment are still standing. I will take my daughter to
            the roof and point to the hole in the skyline where those two big
            boxes, (once reviled as "milk cartons") once stood. Likely I will
            scream, and cry, pump my fist in anger, and hold my daughter close.

            And then I will do what I have always done before: put my daughter in
            the stroller and my dog on a leash and stroll the Avenue. I am going
            to make a special point of clasping arms with the neighborhood
            grocers who came to New York from Yemen and The United Arab Emerates
            and Iraq to chase the same dream that brought me to the city eight
            years ago. I will call them neighbor and brother and tell them that I
            love them. Then I will walk to my office and get on with doing the
            work that I love in the city that I love.

            Your in brotherhood,

            David

            When he returned home, he found his wife on the sofa cryi
            >--- In bolger@y..., jkck@s... wrote:
            >

            >> David Ryan, please let us know you are OK.
            >>
            >> Carter K.
            >
            >FWIW, David's address in his sig line is a good deal north of the
            >affected area. (West 126th St.)
            >
            >Let's just hope and pray that neither he, nor any of his family have
            >come to harm.
            >
            >JB
            >

            >Bolger rules!!!
            >- pls take "personals" off-list, stay on topic, and punctuate
            >- add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts, snip all you like
            >- To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester,
            >MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

            CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS
            134 West 26th St. 12th Floor
            New York, New York 10001
            http://www.crumblingempire.com
            (212) 247-0296
          • timk_smith@fortunemail.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 14, 2001
              David's office is actually downtown, near the blast area, but not so close that
              he would have been in jeopardy. He is a documentary filmmaker, so I'm
              presuming he's out filming and hoping we'll hear from him soonest. It's all
              very exhausting; and the city is still jumping (we had ninety bomb threats
              yesterday).

              The expressions of support from around the country and the world have
              moved us all. Thanks Pippo.

              > FWIW, David's address in his sig line is a good deal north of the
              > affected area. (West 126th St.)
              >
              > Let's just hope and pray that neither he, nor any of his family have
              > come to harm.
              >
              > JB
            • Bill Kreamer
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 14, 2001
                I'm not that religious, but I will thank God for your sentiments David,
                and all similar ones. Thank you, and keep the faith. Bill

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS
                134 West 26th St. 12th Floor
                New York, New York 10001
                http://www.crumblingempire.com
                (212) 247-0296

                Bolger rules!!!
                01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

              • j.c.ewing@home.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 16, 2001
                  To all our American friends:

                  David Ryan's reflections and sentiments were so beautifully expressed
                  they brought tears to my eyes. On the day before the tragedies, my
                  wife and I arrived in San Francisco to visit our grandchildren. We've
                  been simply devastated by what we have seen on TV. 'The horror, the
                  horror.' I have not been in New York since before the World Trade
                  Centre was built; I have a hard time imagining buildings that tall --
                  and even a harder time comprehending their total collapse. Thousands
                  of lives lost and scores of thousands directly impacted. The horror
                  is beyond expression. What we CAN express is love for our fellow
                  beings even in the face of hate -- and David's words did just that.
                  Let us love our differences because beneath them is our common
                  humanity.

                  John Ewing, Victoria B.C.