Re: Paradox--Opinions Please

  • pvanderw@optonline.net
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 3, 2001
      I remember reading a post just within the last couple weeks from a
      Micro builder who had built his keel mold and had the lead poured by
      a pro. It seems a very good approach to me, if you don't want to
      equip yourself (with tools, knowledge and courage) to do the pour
      yourself.

      If I remember correctly, it was a scrap metals dealer in this case,
      but I have also seen posts citing a friendly reception at a firm that
      specialized in lead shielding for x-ray (and other medical)
      installations. I think it may also be possible to buy a lead slab of
      the right thickness from the medical shielding folds and cutting out
      the shape you want, then selling the scrap back to them.

      A third approach, available here in New England and probably in most
      coastal areas, is to have the ballast installed by a pro boat shop.

      Check out your phone book.

      Peter
    • sanmi@yahoo.com
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 16, 2001
        Comments below:

        --- In bolger@y..., ravenous@g... wrote:
        > Frank,
        > what weight glass cloth did you use on the outside of the hull?
        Did
        > you glass right over the chine logs in one piece?

        I built the boat pretty much exactly as Jim MIchalak specifies, with
        a few minor exceptions. I *think* I used 6oz cloth. I only glassed
        the bottom on the outside. First I did the bottom with the cloth,
        covering the chine logs completely on the sides (but not going any
        farther down the sides (the hull was upside down of course). Then I
        laid 3" tape on the corners of the chine logs. Finally, I added some
        extra layers of tape in the bow grounding area.

        > Did you epoxy coat the inside or the deck?

        Nope. I just used oil based house paint and primer, but I will use
        Latex from now on. Of course I religiously knocked out all of the
        little knot hole losse pieces and filled them with thickened epoxy.

        > I'm starting the AF4 and
        > am thinking about a light glass inside and out after completing the
        > hull to avoid the checking of cheap BC Pine ply.
        >
        > Have you experienced any checking yet with the Fir?

        I used AC Fir from the local yard. Yes I have had some checking, but
        it doesn't bother me. I used a plywood pirogue for many years (in
        South Lousiana) that was checked all over and never had any
        problems. One bulkhead, however seems to be made of a defective 1/4"
        sheet which has a 4" bubble de-laminated. I think I'll have to
        replace the bulkhead in a year or so.

        I do keep the boat in a garage, but may put her outside soon. We will
        see what happens. I made a little A-frame to drape a tarp over her
        open areas.