Re: Paradox--Opinions Please

  • dbaldnz@yahoo.co.nz
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 3, 2001
      I think the problem would be....you would need to make the keel
      deeper and perhaps thicker to get the same weight at a similar depth
      to the standard keel, otherwise she will be tender, maybe dangerous.
      DonB

      > Hi All -
      > I have to admit that I'm also on the side of Bolger's
      Micro. I
      > do have one question though. I think the lead keel may scare away
      some home
      > builders so has anyone ever looked into the possibility of building
      the box
      > keel then filling it with cement along with sash weights, boiler
      punchings,
      > pcs. of lead from old ballest weights etc. I wonder what Phil
      Bolger would

    • sanmi@yahoo.com
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 16, 2001
        Comments below:

        --- In bolger@y..., ravenous@g... wrote:
        > Frank,
        > what weight glass cloth did you use on the outside of the hull?
        Did
        > you glass right over the chine logs in one piece?

        I built the boat pretty much exactly as Jim MIchalak specifies, with
        a few minor exceptions. I *think* I used 6oz cloth. I only glassed
        the bottom on the outside. First I did the bottom with the cloth,
        covering the chine logs completely on the sides (but not going any
        farther down the sides (the hull was upside down of course). Then I
        laid 3" tape on the corners of the chine logs. Finally, I added some
        extra layers of tape in the bow grounding area.

        > Did you epoxy coat the inside or the deck?

        Nope. I just used oil based house paint and primer, but I will use
        Latex from now on. Of course I religiously knocked out all of the
        little knot hole losse pieces and filled them with thickened epoxy.

        > I'm starting the AF4 and
        > am thinking about a light glass inside and out after completing the
        > hull to avoid the checking of cheap BC Pine ply.
        >
        > Have you experienced any checking yet with the Fir?

        I used AC Fir from the local yard. Yes I have had some checking, but
        it doesn't bother me. I used a plywood pirogue for many years (in
        South Lousiana) that was checked all over and never had any
        problems. One bulkhead, however seems to be made of a defective 1/4"
        sheet which has a 4" bubble de-laminated. I think I'll have to
        replace the bulkhead in a year or so.

        I do keep the boat in a garage, but may put her outside soon. We will
        see what happens. I made a little A-frame to drape a tarp over her
        open areas.