Re: [bolger] Re: Tools required to scarf thin plywood

  • JohnSpoering@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2001
      Hi Don & Craig -
      Here comes my 2 cents worth in this easy scarfing search.
      The Gougeon brothers sell (less than $25.00) a scarfing attachment for your
      skill type saw that does a great job with very little practice (check out-
      www.westsystem.com). However on really thin ply it may be hard if your only
      doing a single layer.
      I consider myself a fairly good wood worker after 5 homes and as
      many boats but I've always had trouble grinding or planing scarfs by hand to
      get what I would consider an attractive joint when finished. My hats off to
      you if it's something you can do on a regular basis. I really think that
      Paysons system is simply the very best way to go especially since it's
      something your going to do on only one boat - at least for a while.
      I know he explains it very well in his books, but simply all
      you really need in the line of tools is a disc sander attachment for your
      electric drill. Butt the 2 pcs of ply together tightly and disc sand a
      slight depression down the seam. Using a roll of 4" and a roll of 6" glass
      tape - epoxy a strip of 4" down the seam followed immediately by a strip of
      6" right on top. Allow it to dry over nite and disc sand the glass edges to
      a feather edge. Flip it all over and repeat the process on the other side
      and your done and have a joint that's stronger than the wood - if it breaks
      the wood comes apart not the glassed joint. It's sooo simple. I've done it
      on cabin tops and severat Wharram Cats I've built.

      Good Luck - Aloha - Jack Spoering