Re: Paradox--Opinions Please

  • Glenn
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 1, 2001
      --- In bolger@y..., "Glenn" <cricket137@y...> wrote:
      > Hi guys. I seek your help. I had a Micro in my future for some
      > coastal cruising and a little off shore sailing. Then about three
      > weeks ago I discovered Paradox, a Matt Layden design 14'. I think
      > have fallen in love the more I see of it. Not quite as much boat
      as
      > Micro, but I think it would fit my wife and I perfectly.
      >
      > Please take a look at it at this site:
      >
      > http://home.triad.rr.com/lcruise/paradox1.htm

      Hi guys. Glenn here. I want to thank all of you for your help and
      ideas on our Micro vs Paradox. I went back and have been looking at
      the study plans with all your thoughts in mind.

      Thanks especially for the tip on the Paradox buiiding group.

      This is something we have been planning for a long time. I'm 52 now
      and this will most likely be my last and biggest boat. I was already
      thinking about how paradox might be a little tender in a blow with a
      four+ foot beam.

      Regarding the comment on "little Cruisier", I did check on it, and
      found out that building plans were never make for it.

      Whichever one we build, I will be sure and fit it with Aux power.
      Just to keep the little woman happy.

      I think the scale has tilted a bit toward the Mico, but we are going
      to make a list of good and bad points (from our point of view).

      I've saved almost enough money to build either one. I like to be
      able to buy everything from the start because I have to build on our
      covered back padio with no side walls so I try to build fast.

      Here's a "virtual" brewsky to eash one of you for your help!

      Happy Sailing and building----Glenn and Vicky Powell
    • sanmi@yahoo.com
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 16, 2001
        Comments below:

        --- In bolger@y..., ravenous@g... wrote:
        > Frank,
        > what weight glass cloth did you use on the outside of the hull?
        Did
        > you glass right over the chine logs in one piece?

        I built the boat pretty much exactly as Jim MIchalak specifies, with
        a few minor exceptions. I *think* I used 6oz cloth. I only glassed
        the bottom on the outside. First I did the bottom with the cloth,
        covering the chine logs completely on the sides (but not going any
        farther down the sides (the hull was upside down of course). Then I
        laid 3" tape on the corners of the chine logs. Finally, I added some
        extra layers of tape in the bow grounding area.

        > Did you epoxy coat the inside or the deck?

        Nope. I just used oil based house paint and primer, but I will use
        Latex from now on. Of course I religiously knocked out all of the
        little knot hole losse pieces and filled them with thickened epoxy.

        > I'm starting the AF4 and
        > am thinking about a light glass inside and out after completing the
        > hull to avoid the checking of cheap BC Pine ply.
        >
        > Have you experienced any checking yet with the Fir?

        I used AC Fir from the local yard. Yes I have had some checking, but
        it doesn't bother me. I used a plywood pirogue for many years (in
        South Lousiana) that was checked all over and never had any
        problems. One bulkhead, however seems to be made of a defective 1/4"
        sheet which has a 4" bubble de-laminated. I think I'll have to
        replace the bulkhead in a year or so.

        I do keep the boat in a garage, but may put her outside soon. We will
        see what happens. I made a little A-frame to drape a tarp over her
        open areas.