Re: Tools required to scarf thin plywood

  • dcraig@westelcom.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2001
      John, there is no easy way around this. Either you're going to buy
      a block plane and spend the time learning how to use it, or you're
      going to buy expensive power equipment to cut the scarf, but you still
      need the experience of doing it by hand to do it right with a power
      tool.
      Buy the block plane and get a booklet that tells you how to sharpen
      the edge and adjust the depth of cut. Get some scrap pieces of
      plywood and clamp some scrap pieces of wood across it as angle guides.
      Practice cutting the scarf on one piece. Then cut a scarf on the
      other piece and see how they match up. Line them up edge to edge
      and see if the two pieces are parallel or cockeyed. Use your eye.
      Make the adjustment. This is woodworking; it's actually fun. There
      is no instant easy solution from the home center; other than trial and
      error and practice on your own time with the hand tool. Practice.
      Practice.
      The two edges cut across the grain of plywood are probably going to
      look like raggedy crap, so plan on putting filler into your epoxy to
      fill the voids and gaps.

      Don Craig

    • JohnSpoering@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2001
        Hi all -
        Need Help !!! How do I get to see all these pictures you all
        are posting on our web site? I've put in the address shown but AOL can't
        find them (Thats nothing new with AOL) I've gone to Yahoo and entered the
        address gien but they can't find them either. Any Ideas?
        Aloha Jack

      • JohnSpoering@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2001
          Hi Don & Craig -
          Here comes my 2 cents worth in this easy scarfing search.
          The Gougeon brothers sell (less than $25.00) a scarfing attachment for your
          skill type saw that does a great job with very little practice (check out-
          www.westsystem.com). However on really thin ply it may be hard if your only
          doing a single layer.
          I consider myself a fairly good wood worker after 5 homes and as
          many boats but I've always had trouble grinding or planing scarfs by hand to
          get what I would consider an attractive joint when finished. My hats off to
          you if it's something you can do on a regular basis. I really think that
          Paysons system is simply the very best way to go especially since it's
          something your going to do on only one boat - at least for a while.
          I know he explains it very well in his books, but simply all
          you really need in the line of tools is a disc sander attachment for your
          electric drill. Butt the 2 pcs of ply together tightly and disc sand a
          slight depression down the seam. Using a roll of 4" and a roll of 6" glass
          tape - epoxy a strip of 4" down the seam followed immediately by a strip of
          6" right on top. Allow it to dry over nite and disc sand the glass edges to
          a feather edge. Flip it all over and repeat the process on the other side
          and your done and have a joint that's stronger than the wood - if it breaks
          the wood comes apart not the glassed joint. It's sooo simple. I've done it
          on cabin tops and severat Wharram Cats I've built.

          Good Luck - Aloha - Jack Spoering