Re: Tools required to scarf thin plywood

  • mwagner@frontiernet.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2001
      I've tried the scarfer - pain the butt. Speaking of "the butt." Bolger
      himself recommends the "Payson Joint." Just butt the two pieces of ply
      together, and put two layers of glass tape on each side, with tons of
      epoxy to soak through everything. I use this joint exclusively since I
      learned to do it right. Lots faster, easier and just as strong as any
      scarf.

      --- In bolger@y..., John Kennedy <john.kennedy@g...> wrote:
      > Before I go out to purchase a low-angle block plane, is there any
      other
      > hand-tool which will let me scarf plywood accurately? I have to
      cut a
      > scarf edge on some plywood which is on the boat, then scarf new
      plywood to
      > go into it.
      >
      > A bit tought to put the entire boat on a work-bench (grin), so it
      strikes me
      > my choices are limited.
      >
      > I don't have (and can't afford) a router, so it's either a plane (of
      which I
      > have several, but no low-angle block plane), a wide (or other?)
      chisel, a

    • dcraig@westelcom.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2001
        John, there is no easy way around this. Either you're going to buy
        a block plane and spend the time learning how to use it, or you're
        going to buy expensive power equipment to cut the scarf, but you still
        need the experience of doing it by hand to do it right with a power
        tool.
        Buy the block plane and get a booklet that tells you how to sharpen
        the edge and adjust the depth of cut. Get some scrap pieces of
        plywood and clamp some scrap pieces of wood across it as angle guides.
        Practice cutting the scarf on one piece. Then cut a scarf on the
        other piece and see how they match up. Line them up edge to edge
        and see if the two pieces are parallel or cockeyed. Use your eye.
        Make the adjustment. This is woodworking; it's actually fun. There
        is no instant easy solution from the home center; other than trial and
        error and practice on your own time with the hand tool. Practice.
        Practice.
        The two edges cut across the grain of plywood are probably going to
        look like raggedy crap, so plan on putting filler into your epoxy to
        fill the voids and gaps.

        Don Craig

      • JohnSpoering@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2001
          Hi all -
          Need Help !!! How do I get to see all these pictures you all
          are posting on our web site? I've put in the address shown but AOL can't
          find them (Thats nothing new with AOL) I've gone to Yahoo and entered the
          address gien but they can't find them either. Any Ideas?
          Aloha Jack

        • JohnSpoering@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2, 2001
            Hi Don & Craig -
            Here comes my 2 cents worth in this easy scarfing search.
            The Gougeon brothers sell (less than $25.00) a scarfing attachment for your
            skill type saw that does a great job with very little practice (check out-
            www.westsystem.com). However on really thin ply it may be hard if your only
            doing a single layer.
            I consider myself a fairly good wood worker after 5 homes and as
            many boats but I've always had trouble grinding or planing scarfs by hand to
            get what I would consider an attractive joint when finished. My hats off to
            you if it's something you can do on a regular basis. I really think that
            Paysons system is simply the very best way to go especially since it's
            something your going to do on only one boat - at least for a while.
            I know he explains it very well in his books, but simply all
            you really need in the line of tools is a disc sander attachment for your
            electric drill. Butt the 2 pcs of ply together tightly and disc sand a
            slight depression down the seam. Using a roll of 4" and a roll of 6" glass
            tape - epoxy a strip of 4" down the seam followed immediately by a strip of
            6" right on top. Allow it to dry over nite and disc sand the glass edges to
            a feather edge. Flip it all over and repeat the process on the other side
            and your done and have a joint that's stronger than the wood - if it breaks
            the wood comes apart not the glassed joint. It's sooo simple. I've done it
            on cabin tops and severat Wharram Cats I've built.

            Good Luck - Aloha - Jack Spoering