Re: Paradox--Opinions Please

  • pateson@colton.com
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 1, 2001
      It looks like a "Dangerous Boat".
      If you are looking for "Been there and done that!" experience.
      I built a boat similar to that some 28 odd years ago.
      Similar in mental concept anyway.
      It was a 10' sailboat that I had designed with the intent
      of having pleasant daysails with my wife on local lakes.
      It was a decent sailer in fair winds, but one day,
      the winds were not "Fair". In fact they were non existent.
      We were only about a 1/4 mile from shore, but it was a
      Very Hot July afternoon. My wife had only brought her
      bathing suit, so was exposed to the Hot sun.
      I was doing everything I could to make the boat move,
      to no avail.
      She was new to sailiing then, and kept insisting that we
      should return to shore. She was right, and I knew it,
      but there was nothing I could do.
      I had taken no "Auxiliary Power".
      We had been married for about 4 years, and never had a
      "Fight". But this was the day of our first.
      She rightfully wanted to return to shore, and I was trying
      to explain to her that we couldn't.
      That 10 foot boat became smaller and smaller.
      I guess she could have gotten into the water, as there
      was no chance of me sailiing away from her, but she just
      wanted the boat to move. She did not understand that at
      that moment, there was nobody in the world that wanted
      that boat to move more than I did.
      It was that day that I Really Learned how small a
      "Small Boat" can be.
      We are still together, and have had a few "tiffs" since, but that
      is one we both remember to this day. We get along very well in
      "Small Boats" now, but I make sure the boats aren't too small,
      and do provide alternate power.
      If you look at the first sketch with an open mind, and realize
      how little room there would be for another person.
      http://home.triad.rr.com/lcruise/graphics/sketch2.jpg
      You will see that there will be even less room in the second.
      http://home.triad.rr.com/lcruise/graphics/sketch3.jpg
      That one body in the bed won't be yours.

      It does look like a very nice "Samll Cruiser", but
      it is my opinion that it wauld only be large enough
      for "Day Sailing" for the Two of you.

      Still Happily Married. Kay loves "Small Boats"
      (Attending the Wedding of Friend's Son this afternoon.
      I hope they are as happy in their marriage as we have been.)

      Pat Patteson
      Molalla, Oregon

    • sanmi@yahoo.com
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 16, 2001
        Comments below:

        --- In bolger@y..., ravenous@g... wrote:
        > Frank,
        > what weight glass cloth did you use on the outside of the hull?
        Did
        > you glass right over the chine logs in one piece?

        I built the boat pretty much exactly as Jim MIchalak specifies, with
        a few minor exceptions. I *think* I used 6oz cloth. I only glassed
        the bottom on the outside. First I did the bottom with the cloth,
        covering the chine logs completely on the sides (but not going any
        farther down the sides (the hull was upside down of course). Then I
        laid 3" tape on the corners of the chine logs. Finally, I added some
        extra layers of tape in the bow grounding area.

        > Did you epoxy coat the inside or the deck?

        Nope. I just used oil based house paint and primer, but I will use
        Latex from now on. Of course I religiously knocked out all of the
        little knot hole losse pieces and filled them with thickened epoxy.

        > I'm starting the AF4 and
        > am thinking about a light glass inside and out after completing the
        > hull to avoid the checking of cheap BC Pine ply.
        >
        > Have you experienced any checking yet with the Fir?

        I used AC Fir from the local yard. Yes I have had some checking, but
        it doesn't bother me. I used a plywood pirogue for many years (in
        South Lousiana) that was checked all over and never had any
        problems. One bulkhead, however seems to be made of a defective 1/4"
        sheet which has a 4" bubble de-laminated. I think I'll have to
        replace the bulkhead in a year or so.

        I do keep the boat in a garage, but may put her outside soon. We will
        see what happens. I made a little A-frame to drape a tarp over her
        open areas.