Chebacco tiller stock

  • richard@spellingbusiness.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2001
      Incidently, just had a long thread on the math of shear and torque on
      the 7x10 mini-lathe group.

      Theoreticaly, with a 5ft tiller, I should be able to break the 1-1/8"
      solid 6061-T6 rod with about 135lb of force on the tiller end.

      Bill's 1" solid steel rod (assuming 1018 cold rolled) would break at
      85 lb of force.

      As designed, using a 2" 304 SS tube with 1/8" walls, it would take
      792 lb of force on the tiller end to break the rudder post.

      I guess I get the MIG conversion kit for my welder!
    • richard@spellingbusiness.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 22, 2001
        The value for 1" solid steel should be twice that, 170lb of force.
        Sorry.