Re: [bolger] Digest Number 625

  • Bruce Coho
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2001
      I've been thinking along slightly different lines.......

      <snip>
      > thought it would really simplify bolting the two stern to stern for a
      > schooner, without the added storage section shown in BWOM.
      >
      > Thinking about it now, imagine two of these schooners with a deck
      > between them...a 16x16 catamaran...or add an additional 8 foot straight
      > section in each schooner to make them 24 feet long, and deck them over
      > for water tightness. One or two masts (or one in each corner!) with a
      > hard deck...what a party boat!
      >
      > Brick Mania!
      >
      > Curtis in /\/\onTana, at least one Brick Shyvaload! {!-{P
      <snip>

      What is made of Bricks and Grout? A Brick Wall! I have recently been
      mulling over a concept that might work. It would require four Bricks ( 2
      leeboard/mast on port side and two leeboard/mast on the starboardside) and
      two Grouts (one leeboard right, one left). It would also require a separate
      center section ( what would you call it, a Strongback?) perhaps made out of
      2x4's or 2x6's.

      The leeboard slots would be used to connect the four bricks and grouts to
      the center with modified leeboard sections that do not go below the boat.
      It would probably need framing to hold the 2 bows and 2 sterns and possibly
      the center grouts, firmly in place. In the center section would either be
      slots for some or all of the leeboards for lateral resistance or possibly a
      centerboard mechanism.

      The center section would be flush with the sterns,bottoms and bows, and
      extend past the bows forming a bowsprit supported by a dolphin striker chain
      or cable. The masts would be in the center section with a full blown
      schooner rig, possibly taken from the Gentleman's Schooner or a Scooner.
      Definitely need a staysail, just because...!

      A Scow Schooner and an instant sailing program! four Bricks for racing, two
      Brick/Grout combo's to teach cooperation and a Brick Wall to go on extended
      sailing /camping expeditions! As the total waterline length could be around
      18 feet in a breeze, it should move nicely. Will also fit in pieces onto a
      cheepo flat trailer, maybe from a lanscaper?

      The whole unit should be relatively easy to assemble/dis-assemble if
      designed right, there are a few people around, and you don't forget your
      tool box. This is not a single-hander! One Brick could be designated the
      head/storage area and with clever use of tarp could be enclosed and usable
      even while sailing, thereby making long trips and overnights more
      comfortable for daughters and wives. Tarps over the booms could protect you
      from the rain. Simple floorboard units could make sure you don't ruin your
      back while sleeping on inflatable mattresses.

      Obviously this concept is still a little half-baked, but I think it is
      definitely doable with some good advice on sail/mast placement,
      daggerboard/centerboard area, and sail area. I would want some advice on
      the physics of the mechanical connections. Think Phil might be interested?

      Oh well....I throw this idea out into the group.

      Brickmania in West Chester PA

      Bruce Coho and the mighty Brick "Thickasa"

      NetZero Platinum
      Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!
    • Bruce Coho
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 23, 2001
        Sorry for the repost, but I just realized I broke the thread