re:folding schooner latch

  • wattleweedooseeds@bigpond.com.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2001
      It sounds like your schooner is fitted with a later design i believe
      it is the Payson version of latch rather than the original design
      that appears on the plans.
      I would suggest unfolfing the boat carefully and getting a
      measurement of the distance between holes. Then get 2 pieces of say
      3/8 plate or flat bar as wide as possible drill the holes to the
      same size as in the keel and fit .
      having said this , I dont like the idea of relying on a single latch
      on the keel ( imagine running over a rok _ this would be the first
      snag. )Imagine being under the boattrying to fasten it when some
      drongo in a PPIID( personal plastic instant idiot device) screamed
      pastand dumped the schooner on yourhead. I opted to stay with the
      side latches But increased the aount of solid wood for larger and
      thicker hinges to attach to.
      The main concern that people appeared to have was that there were
      lots of screws over a small surface area.
      i posted a drawing of how i changed the chine logs to cope with
      this but it was scrubbed in the clean up of the files a while back.
      if you send your email adress to me ( not the list ) my computer will
      then capture yuor full adress and I will email the drawings to you.
      You might try faxing bolger and explain the situation. The drawings
      of the original latch onlycover one page he would probably be
      gentleman enough to fax the right page back.
      hope this all helps
      cheers, Paul Day, FS Waltzing Matilda