Re: [bolger] paints water or oil based ?

  • StepHydro@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
      Todd,

      There is no simple answer. The topic was extensively wrung out a while back;
      it seems that it was around April, maybe March. I'd suggest a search on
      "paint" and maybe latex and oil as well. You'll find enough information there
      to come to your own conclusion, I expect.

      Cehers/Carron
    • Bruce Coho
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
        We primed our Brick (similar build except used gorilla glue/urethane
        glue and lots of screws) with a waterproofing primer and then used
        exterior waterbased latex strictly because of the handling, cost and
        clean up issues. Bruce

      • jamesjjstumpf@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
          I have had very good results with a one part urethane porch and deck enamel.
          It does not need primer, and is a very tough. When applied with a foam
          roller it looks like a sprayed finish. Comes in a nice variety of colors and
          is not very expensive, check your local paint store.

          Jim Stumpf

        • cadbury@swbell.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2001
            --- In bolger@y..., "Todd" <bitme1234@y...> wrote:
            > What paint would be best for my brick exterior latex oil base or
            > water base? Is there another type that would be even beter?
            >
            > My brick is built with acx fir and has no epoxy on it.
            >
            > Liquid nails, bronze silicone ringed nails, and screws only .
            >
            > Which paint would be best to use?
            >

            > Thanks ,
            > Todd

            I painted my boat with (2) coats of latex primer, and two top
            coats of acrylic latex exterior house paint. No epoxy
            saturation or cloth.

            I think the paint has held up OK so far, but it was painted in
            March so not much time has passed. Also, the boat has been siting
            in a garage, out of the sun, but not out of the heat (it gets
            hot in there). I just noticed today that some knots in the pine
            plywood are starting to bleed through the paint. Probably the heat
            is helping that along.

            Let us know how the liquid nails works out. I used P.L. Premium.

            Max