paints water or oil based ?

  • Todd
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
      What paint would be best for my brick exterior latex oil base or
      water base? Is there another type that would be even beter?

      My brick is built with acx fir and has no epoxy on it.

      Liquid nails, bronze silicone ringed nails, and screws only .

      Which paint would be best to use?

      Thanks ,
      Todd
    • StepHydro@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
        Todd,

        There is no simple answer. The topic was extensively wrung out a while back;
        it seems that it was around April, maybe March. I'd suggest a search on
        "paint" and maybe latex and oil as well. You'll find enough information there
        to come to your own conclusion, I expect.

        Cehers/Carron
      • Bruce Coho
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
          We primed our Brick (similar build except used gorilla glue/urethane
          glue and lots of screws) with a waterproofing primer and then used
          exterior waterbased latex strictly because of the handling, cost and
          clean up issues. Bruce

        • jamesjjstumpf@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
            I have had very good results with a one part urethane porch and deck enamel.
            It does not need primer, and is a very tough. When applied with a foam
            roller it looks like a sprayed finish. Comes in a nice variety of colors and
            is not very expensive, check your local paint store.

            Jim Stumpf

          • cadbury@swbell.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 3, 2001
              --- In bolger@y..., "Todd" <bitme1234@y...> wrote:
              > What paint would be best for my brick exterior latex oil base or
              > water base? Is there another type that would be even beter?
              >
              > My brick is built with acx fir and has no epoxy on it.
              >
              > Liquid nails, bronze silicone ringed nails, and screws only .
              >
              > Which paint would be best to use?
              >

              > Thanks ,
              > Todd

              I painted my boat with (2) coats of latex primer, and two top
              coats of acrylic latex exterior house paint. No epoxy
              saturation or cloth.

              I think the paint has held up OK so far, but it was painted in
              March so not much time has passed. Also, the boat has been siting
              in a garage, out of the sun, but not out of the heat (it gets
              hot in there). I just noticed today that some knots in the pine
              plywood are starting to bleed through the paint. Probably the heat
              is helping that along.

              Let us know how the liquid nails works out. I used P.L. Premium.

              Max