Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [bolger] Re: Glassing both sides (Dakota update)

Expand Messages
  • Vince and Mary Ann Chew
    I haven t used the dacron dress liner, but I use Peel-Ply quite often. It is sold wherever you buy fiberglass supplies. Basically, you apply it over the just
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 8:04 PM
    • 0 Attachment
      I haven't used the dacron dress liner, but I use Peel-Ply quite often.
      It is sold wherever you buy fiberglass supplies. Basically, you apply it
      over the just wet out glass cloth as though you are adding another
      layer. Make sure the glass cloth weave is completely filled with resin
      first. You roll or squeegee the peel-ply until it is wet out from below
      (don't add resin on top of the Peel-Ply). When the epoxy has cured
      overnight, you pull the Peel-Ply off. It leaves a dull matte finish
      which epoxy or paint adhere to and which does not require washing or
      sanding. I mainly use it on my taped butt splices. For a small project,
      when you facter in the cost of sanding disks and the time saved by not
      having to sand, it might be cost effective to use Peel-Ply over all
      glassed surfaces. If the dacron dress material is cheaper and works as
      well, I would use that. I guess I will have to get some and try it.

      Glassing, filling, sanding, etc. are much!!! easier on flat horizontal
      surfaces. I have not noticed much difference in bending panels with
      cloth applied However, my panels were five 8' sheets long. This gives a
      lot of leverage for bending. I glassed the exterior surfaces of all the
      panels before assembly on my Dakota. On the outer bottom layer, I even
      applied the final finish since the Dakota is built right side up
      starting with the outer bottom layer. I cut the panels to shape before
      glassing. It saves on expensive resin. After the glass cures, it is easy
      to trim around the edge of the panel with a razor knife.

      An update on my project: I had hoped to launch by the end of this
      summer, but I broke a chunk off my tibia at the ankle and tore some
      ligaments the second week in June (bicycle mishap). Boat building with
      crutches--not! I got rid of the cast and crutches last Tuesday and am
      back at work (cautiously) wearing an air splint. The cabin sides,
      bulkheads, and most of the interior cabinetry are in. I should be
      starting on the cabin top in a couple of days. I'll try to post another
      picture in the Dakota file soon.

      Vince Chew
      (Michigan)
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.