Re: Glassing both sides

  • Lincoln Ross
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
      According to Platt Monfort, you can use dacron (i.e. polyester)
      aircraft fabric for this also. Might be a little easier to
      peel up as I think it's heavier. Expensive, official material is peel
      ply, which homebuilders of full size airplanes use on layups they want
      to glue to later.

      I don't think there's a time limit on the peel ply technique, as the
      point is to have a mechanical bond. I think it would have rained
      VariEzes if it didn't work.

      Of course if you can get to it in a day or so, you can get a chemical
      bond without sanding, according to Raka.
      --- In bolger@y..., wmrpage@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 8/1/01 5:07:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
      > james@p... writes:
      >

      > > Another way is to cover the areas you intend to glue to
      > > with polyester dress lining as you cover with glass cloth.
      > > Squeege the dress lining down. When the glass cures
      > > pull the polyester off and no cleaning/sanding is required.
      > > If you are covering full sheets before cutting out pieces
      > > this method might be a little hard to do.
      > >
      > > James Fuller
      > >

      > Mr. Fuller:
      >
      > Could you elaborate a little bit on this? This technique
      sounds like
      > it could be a real labor saver for "Instant Boats"-type hard-chined
      plywood
      > construction. What does this do? Create a rough surface? Inhibit
      curing?
      > Carry off "amine blush"? Is there a limited window of time when the
      surfaces
      > so treated can be successfully bonded before requiring the "scour,
      rinse,
      > sand & rinse" treatment? If I go to a fabric outlet and ask for
      "polyester
      > dress lining", will the saleslady have any notion what I'm asking
      for? Would
      > I be able to recognize it? How on earth did you figure this out? I'm
      really,
      > really intrigued by this concept. It sure sounds like a winner.
      >
      > Ciao for Niao,
      > Bill in MN

    • James Fuller
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2001
        See Lincoln Ross and Vince Chew's answers. They said
        it better than I could. You might contact Aircraft Spruce
        and get their catalog. There is a good explanation there on the use of peel
        ply. Also, most of the epoxy mfgrs
        that we buy from in the home building boat hobby offer
        free instructions on the use of their produce which would
        include the use of polyester fabric/peel ply.

        James

        > In a message dated 8/1/01 5:07:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
        > james@... writes:
        >

        > > Another way is to cover the areas you intend to glue to
        > > with polyester dress lining as you cover with glass cloth.
        > > Squeege the dress lining down. When the glass cures
        > > pull the polyester off and no cleaning/sanding is required.
        > > If you are covering full sheets before cutting out pieces
        > > this method might be a little hard to do.
        > >
        > > James Fuller
        > >

        > Mr. Fuller:
        >
        > Could you elaborate a little bit on this? This technique sounds
        like
        > it could be a real labor saver for "Instant Boats"-type hard-chined
        plywood
        > construction. What does this do? Create a rough surface? Inhibit curing?
        > Carry off "amine blush"? Is there a limited window of time when the
        surfaces
        > so treated can be successfully bonded before requiring the "scour, rinse,
        > sand & rinse" treatment? If I go to a fabric outlet and ask for "polyester
        > dress lining", will the saleslady have any notion what I'm asking for?
        Would
        > I be able to recognize it? How on earth did you figure this out? I'm
        really,
        > really intrigued by this concept. It sure sounds like a winner.
        >
        > Ciao for Niao,
        > Bill in MN

        01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

      • Steve Gillon
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
          I built a Long-EZ, and used peel ply extensively. It
          works wonders! Aircraft Spruce sells rolls of the
          stuff in 1", 2" 3" 4", et cetera rolls, it has pinked
          edges, so it won't unravel.

          The idea is to let the wax and other stuff in the
          epoxy float through the peel ply, to the surface.
          When you peel the tape off, it brings with it the
          epoxy that is above it, containing all the impurities
          that make epoxy refuse to stick to itself. The
          resulting surface has a cloth-like texture. You can
          sand it down smooth, easily. When you put more epoxy,
          or fiberglass over it, it disappears. If you are
          careful and lay your peel ply down straight, it
          actually looks good, after you peel the peel ply off,
          like a matte border.

          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/