Re: [bolger] Re: Glassing both sides

  • wmrpage@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
      james@... writes:

      > Another way is to cover the areas you intend to glue to
      > with polyester dress lining as you cover with glass cloth.
      > Squeege the dress lining down. When the glass cures
      > pull the polyester off and no cleaning/sanding is required.
      > If you are covering full sheets before cutting out pieces
      > this method might be a little hard to do.
      >
      > James Fuller

      Mr. Fuller:

      Could you elaborate a little bit on this? This technique sounds like
      it could be a real labor saver for "Instant Boats"-type hard-chined plywood
      construction. What does this do? Create a rough surface? Inhibit curing?
      Carry off "amine blush"? Is there a limited window of time when the surfaces
      so treated can be successfully bonded before requiring the "scour, rinse,
      sand & rinse" treatment? If I go to a fabric outlet and ask for "polyester
      dress lining", will the saleslady have any notion what I'm asking for? Would
      I be able to recognize it? How on earth did you figure this out? I'm really,
      really intrigued by this concept. It sure sounds like a winner.

      Ciao for Niao,
      Bill in MN

    • Lincoln Ross
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
        According to Platt Monfort, you can use dacron (i.e. polyester)
        aircraft fabric for this also. Might be a little easier to
        peel up as I think it's heavier. Expensive, official material is peel
        ply, which homebuilders of full size airplanes use on layups they want
        to glue to later.

        I don't think there's a time limit on the peel ply technique, as the
        point is to have a mechanical bond. I think it would have rained
        VariEzes if it didn't work.

        Of course if you can get to it in a day or so, you can get a chemical
        bond without sanding, according to Raka.
        --- In bolger@y..., wmrpage@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 8/1/01 5:07:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
        > james@p... writes:
        >

        > > Another way is to cover the areas you intend to glue to
        > > with polyester dress lining as you cover with glass cloth.
        > > Squeege the dress lining down. When the glass cures
        > > pull the polyester off and no cleaning/sanding is required.
        > > If you are covering full sheets before cutting out pieces
        > > this method might be a little hard to do.
        > >
        > > James Fuller
        > >

        > Mr. Fuller:
        >
        > Could you elaborate a little bit on this? This technique
        sounds like
        > it could be a real labor saver for "Instant Boats"-type hard-chined
        plywood
        > construction. What does this do? Create a rough surface? Inhibit
        curing?
        > Carry off "amine blush"? Is there a limited window of time when the
        surfaces
        > so treated can be successfully bonded before requiring the "scour,
        rinse,
        > sand & rinse" treatment? If I go to a fabric outlet and ask for
        "polyester
        > dress lining", will the saleslady have any notion what I'm asking
        for? Would
        > I be able to recognize it? How on earth did you figure this out? I'm
        really,
        > really intrigued by this concept. It sure sounds like a winner.
        >
        > Ciao for Niao,
        > Bill in MN

      • James Fuller
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2001
          See Lincoln Ross and Vince Chew's answers. They said
          it better than I could. You might contact Aircraft Spruce
          and get their catalog. There is a good explanation there on the use of peel
          ply. Also, most of the epoxy mfgrs
          that we buy from in the home building boat hobby offer
          free instructions on the use of their produce which would
          include the use of polyester fabric/peel ply.

          James

          > In a message dated 8/1/01 5:07:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
          > james@... writes:
          >

          > > Another way is to cover the areas you intend to glue to
          > > with polyester dress lining as you cover with glass cloth.
          > > Squeege the dress lining down. When the glass cures
          > > pull the polyester off and no cleaning/sanding is required.
          > > If you are covering full sheets before cutting out pieces
          > > this method might be a little hard to do.
          > >
          > > James Fuller
          > >

          > Mr. Fuller:
          >
          > Could you elaborate a little bit on this? This technique sounds
          like
          > it could be a real labor saver for "Instant Boats"-type hard-chined
          plywood
          > construction. What does this do? Create a rough surface? Inhibit curing?
          > Carry off "amine blush"? Is there a limited window of time when the
          surfaces
          > so treated can be successfully bonded before requiring the "scour, rinse,
          > sand & rinse" treatment? If I go to a fabric outlet and ask for "polyester
          > dress lining", will the saleslady have any notion what I'm asking for?
          Would
          > I be able to recognize it? How on earth did you figure this out? I'm
          really,
          > really intrigued by this concept. It sure sounds like a winner.
          >
          > Ciao for Niao,
          > Bill in MN

          01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

        • Steve Gillon
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
            I built a Long-EZ, and used peel ply extensively. It
            works wonders! Aircraft Spruce sells rolls of the
            stuff in 1", 2" 3" 4", et cetera rolls, it has pinked
            edges, so it won't unravel.

            The idea is to let the wax and other stuff in the
            epoxy float through the peel ply, to the surface.
            When you peel the tape off, it brings with it the
            epoxy that is above it, containing all the impurities
            that make epoxy refuse to stick to itself. The
            resulting surface has a cloth-like texture. You can
            sand it down smooth, easily. When you put more epoxy,
            or fiberglass over it, it disappears. If you are
            careful and lay your peel ply down straight, it
            actually looks good, after you peel the peel ply off,
            like a matte border.

            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/