Re: Glassing both sides

  • Lincoln Ross
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
      I've used 3/4 oz, or maybe it was 1 oz over all of my Nymph and some
      of my current project. This is a pain to keep wrinkles out of, but
      much lighter if you don't need the strength, and cheap. THe weight
      isn't bad if you don't use too much epoxy, people use this weight
      on model planes. It's MUCH easier to do a sheet on sawhorses than to
      do it after the boat is assembled. If you were worried about bonding,
      I suppose you could cut out the pieces, mask the edges about 2" with
      tape, and then peel it back after the epoxy sets. At this weight you
      can just rip it back without a whole lot of trouble, tho maybe some
      more robust tape than masking tape would ensure the very edge of the
      tape peeled up. DOing the sheets flat would save you a LOT of sanding
      and scraping drips! If you're really careful you won't need to sand
      much at all. Try to cut back any overlaps, scrape bumps, etc. maybe 1
      day after putting the epoxy on, then wait as long as you can before
      sanding so it doesn't turn into goo and clog the paper when the
      friction heats it up.

      The necessity of all this depends on how you keep your boat, what you
      paint it with, and what kind of plywood it is. I have a luan boat that
      was painted with latex and lived upside down for two or three years
      outside, in a temperate climate with snow, rain, and sun. Looks fine.
      GUess we lucked out on the quality of that wood. I have a daggerboard
      of Southern Yellow Pine that I made and painted with latex that looked
      awful right away, as soon as I used it. I had a varnished luan boat
      that checked like crazy.

      IT's true that putting on this glass is a fair amount of work. I think
      it would depend a lot on how fancy the boat was. If you were using 3/8
      or thicker ply, I'd consider MDO instead, though I don't have any
      experience with this.

      Epoxy doesn't make a good primer for everything, but I used latex
      primer which stuck to it tenaciously. Maybe if my top coat was latex I
      wouldn't have needed a primer, but I wanted to use silver oil based
      paint.

      I don't think this would keep away rot if you allowed any damage.

      --- In bolger@y..., richard@s... wrote:
      > I'm considering glassing both sides of all the ply on the new boat,
      > with at least a very light layer of cloth. Mainly to prevent
      checking.

      > I would glass the panels and sand them smooth before they went on
      the
      > boat. Anyone see any value in this?
      >
      > Pros:
      > 1) No checking
      > 2) No rot
      > 3) epoxy makes good primer
      > 4) wood sealed for outside building
      >
      > cons:
      > 1) cost
      > 2) adds weight
      > 3) adds work
      >
      > Thought? Anyone? Anyone?
    • Jeff Blunck
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
        Epoxy will adhere to old Epoxy if you rough it up really well with 100 grit
        sand paper. Using a palm sander, I start with 60 grit then finish with 100
        grit until the whole surface is scuffed well. Only took me about 15 minutes
        to prep 32' of chine log area along the bottom of my Tennessee.

        This is a mechanical bond and not as good as soaking into the wood but I
        think it's still stronger than the plywood anyway. If your still nervous
        about it, use another 1" wider tape at the joints to compensate.

        Jeff

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
          Epoxy will absolutely stick to epoxy. Non issue.
          What you have to do is clean the areas you intend to
          glue to. You can do this with water and scotchbrite
          pads. Then sand the glaze off the area. Then glue away.

          Another way is to cover the areas you intend to glue to
          with polyester dress lining as you cover with glass cloth.
          Squeege the dress lining down. When the glass cures
          pull the polyester off and no cleaning/sanding is required.
          If you are covering full sheets before cutting out pieces
          this method might be a little hard to do.

          James Fuller

        • wmrpage@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
            james@... writes:

            > Another way is to cover the areas you intend to glue to
            > with polyester dress lining as you cover with glass cloth.
            > Squeege the dress lining down. When the glass cures
            > pull the polyester off and no cleaning/sanding is required.
            > If you are covering full sheets before cutting out pieces
            > this method might be a little hard to do.
            >
            > James Fuller

            Mr. Fuller:

            Could you elaborate a little bit on this? This technique sounds like
            it could be a real labor saver for "Instant Boats"-type hard-chined plywood
            construction. What does this do? Create a rough surface? Inhibit curing?
            Carry off "amine blush"? Is there a limited window of time when the surfaces
            so treated can be successfully bonded before requiring the "scour, rinse,
            sand & rinse" treatment? If I go to a fabric outlet and ask for "polyester
            dress lining", will the saleslady have any notion what I'm asking for? Would
            I be able to recognize it? How on earth did you figure this out? I'm really,
            really intrigued by this concept. It sure sounds like a winner.

            Ciao for Niao,
            Bill in MN

          • Lincoln Ross
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
              According to Platt Monfort, you can use dacron (i.e. polyester)
              aircraft fabric for this also. Might be a little easier to
              peel up as I think it's heavier. Expensive, official material is peel
              ply, which homebuilders of full size airplanes use on layups they want
              to glue to later.

              I don't think there's a time limit on the peel ply technique, as the
              point is to have a mechanical bond. I think it would have rained
              VariEzes if it didn't work.

              Of course if you can get to it in a day or so, you can get a chemical
              bond without sanding, according to Raka.
              --- In bolger@y..., wmrpage@a... wrote:
              > In a message dated 8/1/01 5:07:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
              > james@p... writes:
              >

              > > Another way is to cover the areas you intend to glue to
              > > with polyester dress lining as you cover with glass cloth.
              > > Squeege the dress lining down. When the glass cures
              > > pull the polyester off and no cleaning/sanding is required.
              > > If you are covering full sheets before cutting out pieces
              > > this method might be a little hard to do.
              > >
              > > James Fuller
              > >

              > Mr. Fuller:
              >
              > Could you elaborate a little bit on this? This technique
              sounds like
              > it could be a real labor saver for "Instant Boats"-type hard-chined
              plywood
              > construction. What does this do? Create a rough surface? Inhibit
              curing?
              > Carry off "amine blush"? Is there a limited window of time when the
              surfaces
              > so treated can be successfully bonded before requiring the "scour,
              rinse,
              > sand & rinse" treatment? If I go to a fabric outlet and ask for
              "polyester
              > dress lining", will the saleslady have any notion what I'm asking
              for? Would
              > I be able to recognize it? How on earth did you figure this out? I'm
              really,
              > really intrigued by this concept. It sure sounds like a winner.
              >
              > Ciao for Niao,
              > Bill in MN

            • James Fuller
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 2, 2001
                See Lincoln Ross and Vince Chew's answers. They said
                it better than I could. You might contact Aircraft Spruce
                and get their catalog. There is a good explanation there on the use of peel
                ply. Also, most of the epoxy mfgrs
                that we buy from in the home building boat hobby offer
                free instructions on the use of their produce which would
                include the use of polyester fabric/peel ply.

                James

                > In a message dated 8/1/01 5:07:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
                > james@... writes:
                >

                > > Another way is to cover the areas you intend to glue to
                > > with polyester dress lining as you cover with glass cloth.
                > > Squeege the dress lining down. When the glass cures
                > > pull the polyester off and no cleaning/sanding is required.
                > > If you are covering full sheets before cutting out pieces
                > > this method might be a little hard to do.
                > >
                > > James Fuller
                > >

                > Mr. Fuller:
                >
                > Could you elaborate a little bit on this? This technique sounds
                like
                > it could be a real labor saver for "Instant Boats"-type hard-chined
                plywood
                > construction. What does this do? Create a rough surface? Inhibit curing?
                > Carry off "amine blush"? Is there a limited window of time when the
                surfaces
                > so treated can be successfully bonded before requiring the "scour, rinse,
                > sand & rinse" treatment? If I go to a fabric outlet and ask for "polyester
                > dress lining", will the saleslady have any notion what I'm asking for?
                Would
                > I be able to recognize it? How on earth did you figure this out? I'm
                really,
                > really intrigued by this concept. It sure sounds like a winner.
                >
                > Ciao for Niao,
                > Bill in MN

                01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

              • Steve Gillon
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                  I built a Long-EZ, and used peel ply extensively. It
                  works wonders! Aircraft Spruce sells rolls of the
                  stuff in 1", 2" 3" 4", et cetera rolls, it has pinked
                  edges, so it won't unravel.

                  The idea is to let the wax and other stuff in the
                  epoxy float through the peel ply, to the surface.
                  When you peel the tape off, it brings with it the
                  epoxy that is above it, containing all the impurities
                  that make epoxy refuse to stick to itself. The
                  resulting surface has a cloth-like texture. You can
                  sand it down smooth, easily. When you put more epoxy,
                  or fiberglass over it, it disappears. If you are
                  careful and lay your peel ply down straight, it
                  actually looks good, after you peel the peel ply off,
                  like a matte border.

                  http://phonecard.yahoo.com/