Re: Glassing both sides

  • bruce_hector@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1 9:48 AM
      Ive never glassed before assembly. Doesn't this make bending the
      plywood to the curves much more difficult. Bruce
    • Jeff Blunck
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1 10:49 AM
        It may bend harder to some degree but unless it's some radical bending, it's
        easy to work a tiny bit harder in assembly and have the ease and convenience
        of glassing on a flat surface at a decent height. You'd never do it any
        other way once you've tried it.

        Jeff

      • richard@spellingbusiness.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1 11:18 AM
          Actualy, I was thinking of glassing only the *inside* of the curves
          pieces before assembly. It wouldn't make it harder to bend unless you
          did the *outside* of the curve.

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1 11:19 AM
            Guess we are back to the old argument of whether epoxy will stick to
            previous coats of epoxy or not... Have to do some testing before I
            buy stuff I guess.

            --- In bolger@y..., "Orr, Jamie" <jorr@b...> wrote:

            > Glassing before assembly is easier, but some authorities (Reuel
            Parker, for
            > one) say that you should leave joining surfaces clean, or sand down
            to the
            > bare wood before glueing/taping.
            >
            > Jamie Orr

            MA,
            > 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
            > - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@y...
            >
            > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Lincoln Ross
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1 11:38 AM
              I've used 3/4 oz, or maybe it was 1 oz over all of my Nymph and some
              of my current project. This is a pain to keep wrinkles out of, but
              much lighter if you don't need the strength, and cheap. THe weight
              isn't bad if you don't use too much epoxy, people use this weight
              on model planes. It's MUCH easier to do a sheet on sawhorses than to
              do it after the boat is assembled. If you were worried about bonding,
              I suppose you could cut out the pieces, mask the edges about 2" with
              tape, and then peel it back after the epoxy sets. At this weight you
              can just rip it back without a whole lot of trouble, tho maybe some
              more robust tape than masking tape would ensure the very edge of the
              tape peeled up. DOing the sheets flat would save you a LOT of sanding
              and scraping drips! If you're really careful you won't need to sand
              much at all. Try to cut back any overlaps, scrape bumps, etc. maybe 1
              day after putting the epoxy on, then wait as long as you can before
              sanding so it doesn't turn into goo and clog the paper when the
              friction heats it up.

              The necessity of all this depends on how you keep your boat, what you
              paint it with, and what kind of plywood it is. I have a luan boat that
              was painted with latex and lived upside down for two or three years
              outside, in a temperate climate with snow, rain, and sun. Looks fine.
              GUess we lucked out on the quality of that wood. I have a daggerboard
              of Southern Yellow Pine that I made and painted with latex that looked
              awful right away, as soon as I used it. I had a varnished luan boat
              that checked like crazy.

              IT's true that putting on this glass is a fair amount of work. I think
              it would depend a lot on how fancy the boat was. If you were using 3/8
              or thicker ply, I'd consider MDO instead, though I don't have any
              experience with this.

              Epoxy doesn't make a good primer for everything, but I used latex
              primer which stuck to it tenaciously. Maybe if my top coat was latex I
              wouldn't have needed a primer, but I wanted to use silver oil based
              paint.

              I don't think this would keep away rot if you allowed any damage.

              --- In bolger@y..., richard@s... wrote:
              > I'm considering glassing both sides of all the ply on the new boat,
              > with at least a very light layer of cloth. Mainly to prevent
              checking.

              > I would glass the panels and sand them smooth before they went on
              the
              > boat. Anyone see any value in this?
              >
              > Pros:
              > 1) No checking
              > 2) No rot
              > 3) epoxy makes good primer
              > 4) wood sealed for outside building
              >
              > cons:
              > 1) cost
              > 2) adds weight
              > 3) adds work
              >
              > Thought? Anyone? Anyone?
            • Jeff Blunck
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1 12:59 PM
                Epoxy will adhere to old Epoxy if you rough it up really well with 100 grit
                sand paper. Using a palm sander, I start with 60 grit then finish with 100
                grit until the whole surface is scuffed well. Only took me about 15 minutes
                to prep 32' of chine log area along the bottom of my Tennessee.

                This is a mechanical bond and not as good as soaking into the wood but I
                think it's still stronger than the plywood anyway. If your still nervous
                about it, use another 1" wider tape at the joints to compensate.

                Jeff

                > Guess we are back to the old argument of whether epoxy will stick to
                > previous coats of epoxy or not... Have to do some testing before I
                > buy stuff I guess.
                >

                > --- In bolger@y..., "Orr, Jamie" <jorr@b...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Glassing before assembly is easier, but some authorities (Reuel
                > Parker, for
                > > one) say that you should leave joining surfaces clean, or sand down
                > to the
                > > bare wood before glueing/taping.
                > >
                > > Jamie Orr

              • James Fuller
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1 2:43 PM
                  Epoxy will absolutely stick to epoxy. Non issue.
                  What you have to do is clean the areas you intend to
                  glue to. You can do this with water and scotchbrite
                  pads. Then sand the glaze off the area. Then glue away.

                  Another way is to cover the areas you intend to glue to
                  with polyester dress lining as you cover with glass cloth.
                  Squeege the dress lining down. When the glass cures
                  pull the polyester off and no cleaning/sanding is required.
                  If you are covering full sheets before cutting out pieces
                  this method might be a little hard to do.

                  James Fuller

                • wmrpage@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 1 4:38 PM
                    james@... writes:

                    > Another way is to cover the areas you intend to glue to
                    > with polyester dress lining as you cover with glass cloth.
                    > Squeege the dress lining down. When the glass cures
                    > pull the polyester off and no cleaning/sanding is required.
                    > If you are covering full sheets before cutting out pieces
                    > this method might be a little hard to do.
                    >
                    > James Fuller

                    Mr. Fuller:

                    Could you elaborate a little bit on this? This technique sounds like
                    it could be a real labor saver for "Instant Boats"-type hard-chined plywood
                    construction. What does this do? Create a rough surface? Inhibit curing?
                    Carry off "amine blush"? Is there a limited window of time when the surfaces
                    so treated can be successfully bonded before requiring the "scour, rinse,
                    sand & rinse" treatment? If I go to a fabric outlet and ask for "polyester
                    dress lining", will the saleslady have any notion what I'm asking for? Would
                    I be able to recognize it? How on earth did you figure this out? I'm really,
                    really intrigued by this concept. It sure sounds like a winner.

                    Ciao for Niao,
                    Bill in MN

                  • Lincoln Ross
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 1 6:09 PM
                      According to Platt Monfort, you can use dacron (i.e. polyester)
                      aircraft fabric for this also. Might be a little easier to
                      peel up as I think it's heavier. Expensive, official material is peel
                      ply, which homebuilders of full size airplanes use on layups they want
                      to glue to later.

                      I don't think there's a time limit on the peel ply technique, as the
                      point is to have a mechanical bond. I think it would have rained
                      VariEzes if it didn't work.

                      Of course if you can get to it in a day or so, you can get a chemical
                      bond without sanding, according to Raka.
                      --- In bolger@y..., wmrpage@a... wrote:
                      > In a message dated 8/1/01 5:07:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
                      > james@p... writes:
                      >

                      > > Another way is to cover the areas you intend to glue to
                      > > with polyester dress lining as you cover with glass cloth.
                      > > Squeege the dress lining down. When the glass cures
                      > > pull the polyester off and no cleaning/sanding is required.
                      > > If you are covering full sheets before cutting out pieces
                      > > this method might be a little hard to do.
                      > >
                      > > James Fuller
                      > >

                      > Mr. Fuller:
                      >
                      > Could you elaborate a little bit on this? This technique
                      sounds like
                      > it could be a real labor saver for "Instant Boats"-type hard-chined
                      plywood
                      > construction. What does this do? Create a rough surface? Inhibit
                      curing?
                      > Carry off "amine blush"? Is there a limited window of time when the
                      surfaces
                      > so treated can be successfully bonded before requiring the "scour,
                      rinse,
                      > sand & rinse" treatment? If I go to a fabric outlet and ask for
                      "polyester
                      > dress lining", will the saleslady have any notion what I'm asking
                      for? Would
                      > I be able to recognize it? How on earth did you figure this out? I'm
                      really,
                      > really intrigued by this concept. It sure sounds like a winner.
                      >
                      > Ciao for Niao,
                      > Bill in MN

                    • James Fuller
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 2 9:25 AM
                        See Lincoln Ross and Vince Chew's answers. They said
                        it better than I could. You might contact Aircraft Spruce
                        and get their catalog. There is a good explanation there on the use of peel
                        ply. Also, most of the epoxy mfgrs
                        that we buy from in the home building boat hobby offer
                        free instructions on the use of their produce which would
                        include the use of polyester fabric/peel ply.

                        James

                        > In a message dated 8/1/01 5:07:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
                        > james@... writes:
                        >

                        > > Another way is to cover the areas you intend to glue to
                        > > with polyester dress lining as you cover with glass cloth.
                        > > Squeege the dress lining down. When the glass cures
                        > > pull the polyester off and no cleaning/sanding is required.
                        > > If you are covering full sheets before cutting out pieces
                        > > this method might be a little hard to do.
                        > >
                        > > James Fuller
                        > >

                        > Mr. Fuller:
                        >
                        > Could you elaborate a little bit on this? This technique sounds
                        like
                        > it could be a real labor saver for "Instant Boats"-type hard-chined
                        plywood
                        > construction. What does this do? Create a rough surface? Inhibit curing?
                        > Carry off "amine blush"? Is there a limited window of time when the
                        surfaces
                        > so treated can be successfully bonded before requiring the "scour, rinse,
                        > sand & rinse" treatment? If I go to a fabric outlet and ask for "polyester
                        > dress lining", will the saleslady have any notion what I'm asking for?
                        Would
                        > I be able to recognize it? How on earth did you figure this out? I'm
                        really,
                        > really intrigued by this concept. It sure sounds like a winner.
                        >
                        > Ciao for Niao,
                        > Bill in MN

                        01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                      • Steve Gillon
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 9 12:56 AM
                          I built a Long-EZ, and used peel ply extensively. It
                          works wonders! Aircraft Spruce sells rolls of the
                          stuff in 1", 2" 3" 4", et cetera rolls, it has pinked
                          edges, so it won't unravel.

                          The idea is to let the wax and other stuff in the
                          epoxy float through the peel ply, to the surface.
                          When you peel the tape off, it brings with it the
                          epoxy that is above it, containing all the impurities
                          that make epoxy refuse to stick to itself. The
                          resulting surface has a cloth-like texture. You can
                          sand it down smooth, easily. When you put more epoxy,
                          or fiberglass over it, it disappears. If you are
                          careful and lay your peel ply down straight, it
                          actually looks good, after you peel the peel ply off,
                          like a matte border.

                          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/