Re: Tack and tape: cleats

  • bruce_hector@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
      In my experience you need the cleats, 1X2's or 2X2's when the
      bulkheads are 3/8" or narrower. It's pretty difficult to hold the
      skin and nail or screw into a 1/4" frame like on a Nymph. Then I tape
      with good quality masking tape, 3M or similar. Goop in the gaps with
      thicken epoxy (I thicken with sawdust), but stay away from the
      temporary cleats. The next day you can remove the cleats and finish
      filling. Take the tape off as soon as you can, and don't put it in
      the sun with the tape on. I have bits of masking tape sealed into my
      Diablo's seams because after it was in the sun for a few days I just
      couldn't get it all out. Doesn't seem to hurt any thing though.

      On thicker bulkheads, like my Micro, no temporay cleats were needed.
    • Jeff Blunck
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
        Smaller boats say up to 1/4 or even 3/8 in most non-stressed places can use
        the plastic ties with great success. When I put my Frolic together, the
        plastic ties had to be doubled and tripled in the bow area just to hold
        tight but for 90% of the stitching the plastic ties worked very well.

        They are quick and easy to use and are generally cheaper than copper wire
        and they don't pull through the ply as easy since they are wider than wire.

        Jeff

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
          Wire, any cheap kind. "epoxy tab" between, wait overnight, and pull
          the wires.