Re: Tack and tape: cleats

  • pvanderw@optonline.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
      > Lose the tack and tape. Screw the panels losesly to the bulkheads
      > and frames. Stitch them together, check fairness, and "epoxy tab"
      the hull.

      Would you stitch with wire, or with plastic wire ties?
    • bruce_hector@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
        In my experience you need the cleats, 1X2's or 2X2's when the
        bulkheads are 3/8" or narrower. It's pretty difficult to hold the
        skin and nail or screw into a 1/4" frame like on a Nymph. Then I tape
        with good quality masking tape, 3M or similar. Goop in the gaps with
        thicken epoxy (I thicken with sawdust), but stay away from the
        temporary cleats. The next day you can remove the cleats and finish
        filling. Take the tape off as soon as you can, and don't put it in
        the sun with the tape on. I have bits of masking tape sealed into my
        Diablo's seams because after it was in the sun for a few days I just
        couldn't get it all out. Doesn't seem to hurt any thing though.

        On thicker bulkheads, like my Micro, no temporay cleats were needed.
      • Jeff Blunck
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
          Smaller boats say up to 1/4 or even 3/8 in most non-stressed places can use
          the plastic ties with great success. When I put my Frolic together, the
          plastic ties had to be doubled and tripled in the bow area just to hold
          tight but for 90% of the stitching the plastic ties worked very well.

          They are quick and easy to use and are generally cheaper than copper wire
          and they don't pull through the ply as easy since they are wider than wire.

          Jeff

        • richard@spellingbusiness.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
            Wire, any cheap kind. "epoxy tab" between, wait overnight, and pull
            the wires.