Glassing both sides

  • richard@spellingbusiness.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
      I'm considering glassing both sides of all the ply on the new boat,
      with at least a very light layer of cloth. Mainly to prevent checking.

      I would glass the panels and sand them smooth before they went on the
      boat. Anyone see any value in this?

      Pros:
      1) No checking
      2) No rot
      3) epoxy makes good primer
      4) wood sealed for outside building

      cons:
      1) cost
      2) adds weight
      3) adds work

      Thought? Anyone? Anyone?
    • Jeff Blunck
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
        I have done the same with my Tennessee. I epoxy/glassed the sides facing
        out and left the inside faces for painting only. If it's exposed as in the
        cockpit, I'll glass those areas as needed. There are arguments for and
        against epoxy coating both sides. If using marine ply, it's probably okay,
        but with ACX, the gaps in the center ply can collect moisture/rot if not
        absolutely sealed. One concept is to leave the inside faces free to breath
        and dry. Where my climate is generally very dry, I opted for this concept.
        If I was in a high humidity area, I still would but treat heavy with a
        glycol/borax compound to stop rot, then paint.

        It's way cheaper, easier, and doesn't add as much weight, etc.

        Now this is for a trailer boat living 90% or more of it's life out of the
        water. If it was moored or docked all summer or year, I'd go marine ply and
        epoxy/glass everything even before cutting panels.

        By the way, I tried to sand smooth as possible before assembly. Next time,
        I'll just epoxy/glass then rough sand. I found that working on the boat
        produces drips, scratches, screw holes, etc. so all the work I did trying to
        fair was in vain as I now have to re-sand and fair again to clean up my
        mess. Of course, some builders are much more careful than I but epoxy just
        seems to drip no matter how hard I try.

        Jeff

        > I'm considering glassing both sides of all the ply on the new boat,
        > with at least a very light layer of cloth. Mainly to prevent checking.
        >
        > I would glass the panels and sand them smooth before they went on the
        > boat. Anyone see any value in this?
        >
        > Pros:
        > 1) No checking
        > 2) No rot
        > 3) epoxy makes good primer
        > 4) wood sealed for outside building
        >
        > cons:
        > 1) cost
        > 2) adds weight
        > 3) adds work
        >
        > Thought? Anyone? Anyone?

        01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

      • Orr, Jamie
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
          Yes, good value, I think. I glassed over fir plywood to avoid checking. I
          glassed the outside hull, and wherever the sun could reach it inside, but
          didn't glass the cockpit bottom since it is covered by floorboards -- I
          epoxy coated and painted that. If I had it to do over, I would glass down
          there too,so that I could leave rainwater standing in it without worrying.
          As it is, I feel obliged to remove it as soon as I can when it rains --
          although there's no sign of problems to date.

          I used 6 ounce cloth almost everywhere. I did have some four ounce, but
          found it harder to wet out thoroughly with its smaller weave, so went back
          to 6 ounce for convenience -- it gives more protection anyway.

          Glassing before assembly is easier, but some authorities (Reuel Parker, for
          one) say that you should leave joining surfaces clean, or sand down to the
          bare wood before glueing/taping.

          Jamie Orr

          I'm considering glassing both sides of all the ply on the new boat,
          with at least a very light layer of cloth. Mainly to prevent checking.

          I would glass the panels and sand them smooth before they went on the
          boat. Anyone see any value in this?

          Pros:
          1) No checking
          2) No rot
          3) epoxy makes good primer
          4) wood sealed for outside building

          cons:
          1) cost
          2) adds weight
          3) adds work

          Thought? Anyone? Anyone?

          Bolger rules!!!
          01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

        • bruce_hector@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
            Ive never glassed before assembly. Doesn't this make bending the
            plywood to the curves much more difficult. Bruce
          • Jeff Blunck
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
              It may bend harder to some degree but unless it's some radical bending, it's
              easy to work a tiny bit harder in assembly and have the ease and convenience
              of glassing on a flat surface at a decent height. You'd never do it any
              other way once you've tried it.

              Jeff

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
                Actualy, I was thinking of glassing only the *inside* of the curves
                pieces before assembly. It wouldn't make it harder to bend unless you
                did the *outside* of the curve.

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
                  Guess we are back to the old argument of whether epoxy will stick to
                  previous coats of epoxy or not... Have to do some testing before I
                  buy stuff I guess.

                  --- In bolger@y..., "Orr, Jamie" <jorr@b...> wrote:

                  > Glassing before assembly is easier, but some authorities (Reuel
                  Parker, for
                  > one) say that you should leave joining surfaces clean, or sand down
                  to the
                  > bare wood before glueing/taping.
                  >
                  > Jamie Orr

                  MA,
                  > 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                  > - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@y...
                  >
                  > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Lincoln Ross
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
                    I've used 3/4 oz, or maybe it was 1 oz over all of my Nymph and some
                    of my current project. This is a pain to keep wrinkles out of, but
                    much lighter if you don't need the strength, and cheap. THe weight
                    isn't bad if you don't use too much epoxy, people use this weight
                    on model planes. It's MUCH easier to do a sheet on sawhorses than to
                    do it after the boat is assembled. If you were worried about bonding,
                    I suppose you could cut out the pieces, mask the edges about 2" with
                    tape, and then peel it back after the epoxy sets. At this weight you
                    can just rip it back without a whole lot of trouble, tho maybe some
                    more robust tape than masking tape would ensure the very edge of the
                    tape peeled up. DOing the sheets flat would save you a LOT of sanding
                    and scraping drips! If you're really careful you won't need to sand
                    much at all. Try to cut back any overlaps, scrape bumps, etc. maybe 1
                    day after putting the epoxy on, then wait as long as you can before
                    sanding so it doesn't turn into goo and clog the paper when the
                    friction heats it up.

                    The necessity of all this depends on how you keep your boat, what you
                    paint it with, and what kind of plywood it is. I have a luan boat that
                    was painted with latex and lived upside down for two or three years
                    outside, in a temperate climate with snow, rain, and sun. Looks fine.
                    GUess we lucked out on the quality of that wood. I have a daggerboard
                    of Southern Yellow Pine that I made and painted with latex that looked
                    awful right away, as soon as I used it. I had a varnished luan boat
                    that checked like crazy.

                    IT's true that putting on this glass is a fair amount of work. I think
                    it would depend a lot on how fancy the boat was. If you were using 3/8
                    or thicker ply, I'd consider MDO instead, though I don't have any
                    experience with this.

                    Epoxy doesn't make a good primer for everything, but I used latex
                    primer which stuck to it tenaciously. Maybe if my top coat was latex I
                    wouldn't have needed a primer, but I wanted to use silver oil based
                    paint.

                    I don't think this would keep away rot if you allowed any damage.

                    --- In bolger@y..., richard@s... wrote:
                    > I'm considering glassing both sides of all the ply on the new boat,
                    > with at least a very light layer of cloth. Mainly to prevent
                    checking.

                    > I would glass the panels and sand them smooth before they went on
                    the
                    > boat. Anyone see any value in this?
                    >
                    > Pros:
                    > 1) No checking
                    > 2) No rot
                    > 3) epoxy makes good primer
                    > 4) wood sealed for outside building
                    >
                    > cons:
                    > 1) cost
                    > 2) adds weight
                    > 3) adds work
                    >
                    > Thought? Anyone? Anyone?
                  • Jeff Blunck
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
                      Epoxy will adhere to old Epoxy if you rough it up really well with 100 grit
                      sand paper. Using a palm sander, I start with 60 grit then finish with 100
                      grit until the whole surface is scuffed well. Only took me about 15 minutes
                      to prep 32' of chine log area along the bottom of my Tennessee.

                      This is a mechanical bond and not as good as soaking into the wood but I
                      think it's still stronger than the plywood anyway. If your still nervous
                      about it, use another 1" wider tape at the joints to compensate.

                      Jeff

                      > Guess we are back to the old argument of whether epoxy will stick to
                      > previous coats of epoxy or not... Have to do some testing before I
                      > buy stuff I guess.
                      >

                      > --- In bolger@y..., "Orr, Jamie" <jorr@b...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Glassing before assembly is easier, but some authorities (Reuel
                      > Parker, for
                      > > one) say that you should leave joining surfaces clean, or sand down
                      > to the
                      > > bare wood before glueing/taping.
                      > >
                      > > Jamie Orr

                    • James Fuller
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
                        Epoxy will absolutely stick to epoxy. Non issue.
                        What you have to do is clean the areas you intend to
                        glue to. You can do this with water and scotchbrite
                        pads. Then sand the glaze off the area. Then glue away.

                        Another way is to cover the areas you intend to glue to
                        with polyester dress lining as you cover with glass cloth.
                        Squeege the dress lining down. When the glass cures
                        pull the polyester off and no cleaning/sanding is required.
                        If you are covering full sheets before cutting out pieces
                        this method might be a little hard to do.

                        James Fuller

                      • wmrpage@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
                          james@... writes:

                          > Another way is to cover the areas you intend to glue to
                          > with polyester dress lining as you cover with glass cloth.
                          > Squeege the dress lining down. When the glass cures
                          > pull the polyester off and no cleaning/sanding is required.
                          > If you are covering full sheets before cutting out pieces
                          > this method might be a little hard to do.
                          >
                          > James Fuller

                          Mr. Fuller:

                          Could you elaborate a little bit on this? This technique sounds like
                          it could be a real labor saver for "Instant Boats"-type hard-chined plywood
                          construction. What does this do? Create a rough surface? Inhibit curing?
                          Carry off "amine blush"? Is there a limited window of time when the surfaces
                          so treated can be successfully bonded before requiring the "scour, rinse,
                          sand & rinse" treatment? If I go to a fabric outlet and ask for "polyester
                          dress lining", will the saleslady have any notion what I'm asking for? Would
                          I be able to recognize it? How on earth did you figure this out? I'm really,
                          really intrigued by this concept. It sure sounds like a winner.

                          Ciao for Niao,
                          Bill in MN

                        • Lincoln Ross
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
                            According to Platt Monfort, you can use dacron (i.e. polyester)
                            aircraft fabric for this also. Might be a little easier to
                            peel up as I think it's heavier. Expensive, official material is peel
                            ply, which homebuilders of full size airplanes use on layups they want
                            to glue to later.

                            I don't think there's a time limit on the peel ply technique, as the
                            point is to have a mechanical bond. I think it would have rained
                            VariEzes if it didn't work.

                            Of course if you can get to it in a day or so, you can get a chemical
                            bond without sanding, according to Raka.
                            --- In bolger@y..., wmrpage@a... wrote:
                            > In a message dated 8/1/01 5:07:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
                            > james@p... writes:
                            >

                            > > Another way is to cover the areas you intend to glue to
                            > > with polyester dress lining as you cover with glass cloth.
                            > > Squeege the dress lining down. When the glass cures
                            > > pull the polyester off and no cleaning/sanding is required.
                            > > If you are covering full sheets before cutting out pieces
                            > > this method might be a little hard to do.
                            > >
                            > > James Fuller
                            > >

                            > Mr. Fuller:
                            >
                            > Could you elaborate a little bit on this? This technique
                            sounds like
                            > it could be a real labor saver for "Instant Boats"-type hard-chined
                            plywood
                            > construction. What does this do? Create a rough surface? Inhibit
                            curing?
                            > Carry off "amine blush"? Is there a limited window of time when the
                            surfaces
                            > so treated can be successfully bonded before requiring the "scour,
                            rinse,
                            > sand & rinse" treatment? If I go to a fabric outlet and ask for
                            "polyester
                            > dress lining", will the saleslady have any notion what I'm asking
                            for? Would
                            > I be able to recognize it? How on earth did you figure this out? I'm
                            really,
                            > really intrigued by this concept. It sure sounds like a winner.
                            >
                            > Ciao for Niao,
                            > Bill in MN

                          • James Fuller
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 2, 2001
                              See Lincoln Ross and Vince Chew's answers. They said
                              it better than I could. You might contact Aircraft Spruce
                              and get their catalog. There is a good explanation there on the use of peel
                              ply. Also, most of the epoxy mfgrs
                              that we buy from in the home building boat hobby offer
                              free instructions on the use of their produce which would
                              include the use of polyester fabric/peel ply.

                              James

                              > In a message dated 8/1/01 5:07:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
                              > james@... writes:
                              >

                              > > Another way is to cover the areas you intend to glue to
                              > > with polyester dress lining as you cover with glass cloth.
                              > > Squeege the dress lining down. When the glass cures
                              > > pull the polyester off and no cleaning/sanding is required.
                              > > If you are covering full sheets before cutting out pieces
                              > > this method might be a little hard to do.
                              > >
                              > > James Fuller
                              > >

                              > Mr. Fuller:
                              >
                              > Could you elaborate a little bit on this? This technique sounds
                              like
                              > it could be a real labor saver for "Instant Boats"-type hard-chined
                              plywood
                              > construction. What does this do? Create a rough surface? Inhibit curing?
                              > Carry off "amine blush"? Is there a limited window of time when the
                              surfaces
                              > so treated can be successfully bonded before requiring the "scour, rinse,
                              > sand & rinse" treatment? If I go to a fabric outlet and ask for "polyester
                              > dress lining", will the saleslady have any notion what I'm asking for?
                              Would
                              > I be able to recognize it? How on earth did you figure this out? I'm
                              really,
                              > really intrigued by this concept. It sure sounds like a winner.
                              >
                              > Ciao for Niao,
                              > Bill in MN

                              01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                            • Steve Gillon
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                                I built a Long-EZ, and used peel ply extensively. It
                                works wonders! Aircraft Spruce sells rolls of the
                                stuff in 1", 2" 3" 4", et cetera rolls, it has pinked
                                edges, so it won't unravel.

                                The idea is to let the wax and other stuff in the
                                epoxy float through the peel ply, to the surface.
                                When you peel the tape off, it brings with it the
                                epoxy that is above it, containing all the impurities
                                that make epoxy refuse to stick to itself. The
                                resulting surface has a cloth-like texture. You can
                                sand it down smooth, easily. When you put more epoxy,
                                or fiberglass over it, it disappears. If you are
                                careful and lay your peel ply down straight, it
                                actually looks good, after you peel the peel ply off,
                                like a matte border.

                                http://phonecard.yahoo.com/