Re: Tack and tape: cleats

  • richard@spellingbusiness.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
      Loose the tack and tape. Screw the panels losesly to the bulkheads
      and frames. Stitch them together, check fairness, and "epoxy tab" the
      hull.

      --- In bolger@y..., "Giuseppe 'Pippo' Bianco" <giuseppe.bianco@a...>
    • pvanderw@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
        > Lose the tack and tape. Screw the panels losesly to the bulkheads
        > and frames. Stitch them together, check fairness, and "epoxy tab"
        the hull.

        Would you stitch with wire, or with plastic wire ties?
      • bruce_hector@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
          In my experience you need the cleats, 1X2's or 2X2's when the
          bulkheads are 3/8" or narrower. It's pretty difficult to hold the
          skin and nail or screw into a 1/4" frame like on a Nymph. Then I tape
          with good quality masking tape, 3M or similar. Goop in the gaps with
          thicken epoxy (I thicken with sawdust), but stay away from the
          temporary cleats. The next day you can remove the cleats and finish
          filling. Take the tape off as soon as you can, and don't put it in
          the sun with the tape on. I have bits of masking tape sealed into my
          Diablo's seams because after it was in the sun for a few days I just
          couldn't get it all out. Doesn't seem to hurt any thing though.

          On thicker bulkheads, like my Micro, no temporay cleats were needed.
        • Jeff Blunck
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
            Smaller boats say up to 1/4 or even 3/8 in most non-stressed places can use
            the plastic ties with great success. When I put my Frolic together, the
            plastic ties had to be doubled and tripled in the bow area just to hold
            tight but for 90% of the stitching the plastic ties worked very well.

            They are quick and easy to use and are generally cheaper than copper wire
            and they don't pull through the ply as easy since they are wider than wire.

            Jeff

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
              Wire, any cheap kind. "epoxy tab" between, wait overnight, and pull
              the wires.