Sheet ply Chebacco - bilge panels, stem bevel

  • Giuseppe 'Pippo' Bianco
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 30, 2001
      Chebacco builders, I'm building now a 1:12 scale Chebacco model using
      1 mm plywood. Using the program "Unfold", I've developed the
      flattened shape of the bilge panels and I'm very anxious to see how
      it fits the model. If it's ok, this would be a great bonus for me
      because, given my tremendously cramped working space, I would have to
      pre-build everything in advance. No way to make cardboard patterns or
      other such amenities.
      I've a question for those who have built or are building a sheet ply
      Chebacco: how difficult really is to wrap the bilge panels in place?
      Did you use hot water, vapor, windlasses, or so on?
      Another question: how did you cut the stem bevel? Did you took the
      angle from the plans, or what?
      Any suggestions, warning?
      Thanks and best, Pippo
    • pvanderw@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 30, 2001
        > Another question: how did you cut the stem bevel? Did you take the
        > angle from the plans, or what?

        I think the best approach depends a little on the construction of the
        stem. If you use wood with a good grain, or laminate it so that the
        grain runs along the stem, then using a plane to cut the bevel should
        be pretty easy. If you laminate it from plywood, or otherwise have
        mixed grain, then it will be hard to plane and you will want to use a
        saw to remove most of the material. Bill Sampson's instructions
        (http://www.chebacco.com/) use this approach, using a bandsaw. I
        found a Surform tool more effective than a plane for ply, but maybe
        that is because my planes were not razor sharp.

        To get the final bevel, set up the stem and frames. Take a strip of
        ply about 6 inches wide and as long as possible and fasten it with
        one screw to the frame farthest from the stem that it will reach.
        There should be at least one intermediate frame between the
        attachment an the stem. Then, when you hold the ply strip against
        stem, you will see the angle required, and can finish the bevel.

        At least, that is what I would try first.

        Peter
      • Orr, Jamie
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 30, 2001
          Pippo

          On the bilge panels. I found that making patterns was not a problem -- if
          you've got room to fit the finished panels, you've got plenty room to make
          the patterns. I used some old plywood panelling about 4 mm thick, but
          cardboard or paper would work. I cut the actual bilge panels oversize, then
          put them in place to mark them for final cutting. I screwed them to cleats
          on the frames and moulds to make sure I could put them in the same position
          again -- I probably had them on and off half a dozen times getting the fit
          exact.

          I used two layers of 1/4 inch (6 mm) ply instead of one layer of 1/2 inch
          (12mm). This is recommended on the plans, and eliminates any bending
          problem. I fitted the first layer and made the butts on the hull, then
          added the second, with the joints about a foot away from those on the first
          layer. On the second side I did the butts on the first layer at the bench
          before I put it on the hull, but I think if space is cramped, you should do
          it on the hull so you only have to fit an 8 foot panel, not a 20 footer. To
          move and fit the 20 foot panel you need a helper, as it is very floppy and
          awkward.

          If you use two layers, it's important to get all the air out from between
          them. I followed Sam Devlin's method, fastening the panels together every 8
          inches. I think I've described this in Chebacco News, but if you want
          details, let me know and I can send them off-list. (We're leaving for
          holidays soon, so it might not be for several weeks.) I used the same
          method for the curved cabin roof.

          On the stem, yes, use the angles from the plans, but do it carefully, and
          allow for error in marking and cutting. I marked where the bevel should
          start and finish on the front and sides of the stem, ran it through a band
          saw to take off most of the wood, then smoothed it with a plane. Fine
          tuning was done after trying it in place.

          Jamie Orr

          Chebacco builders, I'm building now a 1:12 scale Chebacco model using
          1 mm plywood. Using the program "Unfold", I've developed the
          flattened shape of the bilge panels and I'm very anxious to see how
          it fits the model. If it's ok, this would be a great bonus for me
          because, given my tremendously cramped working space, I would have to
          pre-build everything in advance. No way to make cardboard patterns or
          other such amenities.
          I've a question for those who have built or are building a sheet ply
          Chebacco: how difficult really is to wrap the bilge panels in place?
          Did you use hot water, vapor, windlasses, or so on?
          Another question: how did you cut the stem bevel? Did you took the
          angle from the plans, or what?
          Any suggestions, warning?
          Thanks and best, Pippo

          Bolger rules!!!
          01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

        • richard@spellingbusiness.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 30, 2001
            Pippo, just out of curiosity, why don't you build a boat shed to make
            your boat in? Surely any of us boat builders could put up a decent
            temporary building. Must be building codes? Lack of yard space? Irate
            natives?

            --- In bolger@y..., "Giuseppe 'Pippo' Bianco" <giuseppe.bianco@a...>
            wrote:
            > Chebacco builders, I'm building now a 1:12 scale Chebacco model
            using
            > 1 mm plywood. Using the program "Unfold", I've developed the
            > flattened shape of the bilge panels and I'm very anxious to see how
            > it fits the model. If it's ok, this would be a great bonus for me
            > because, given my tremendously cramped working space, I would have
            > pre-build everything in advance. No way to make cardboard patterns
            or
            > other such amenities.
            > I've a question for those who have built or are building a sheet
            ply
            > Chebacco: how difficult really is to wrap the bilge panels in
            place?
            > Did you use hot water, vapor, windlasses, or so on?
            > Another question: how did you cut the stem bevel? Did you took the
            > angle from the plans, or what?
            > Any suggestions, warning?
            > Thanks and best, Pippo
          • Giuseppe 'Pippo' Bianco
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 31, 2001
              Richard,
              here in Italy we usually can't even dream of yard space in urban
              areas (our population density is probably 5 times higher than the
              US). Most of us live in condominiums where the yard space is common,
              so no way. Consider that none of my friends and relative has private
              yard space, as all of them, like me, live in towns. My parents though
              have an house with some yard space abouyt 250 km far from here...
              Another possibility would be going somewhere else, but this would
              mean commuting, and when the available time is limited to 4 hours on
              saturday mornings, one would prefer going downstairs in a few seconds
              instead of loading the car and driving every time.
              About "synthetic" Chebaccos now. I do have a Chebacco .hul file, as
              well as a Hullform 6S file and a Plyboats file. The only relatively
              accurate one though is the Hullform one, because I've found no easy
              way to replicate the curved stem with the other two. Those file are
              on my PC at home, let me know if you need any of those.
              Best

              Pippo

              --- In bolger@y..., richard@s... wrote:
              > Pippo, just out of curiosity, why don't you build a boat shed to
              make
              > your boat in? Surely any of us boat builders could put up a decent
              > temporary building. Must be building codes? Lack of yard space?
              Irate
              > natives?
              >
              > --- In bolger@y..., "Giuseppe 'Pippo' Bianco"
              <giuseppe.bianco@a...>
              > wrote:
              > > Chebacco builders, I'm building now a 1:12 scale Chebacco model
              > using
              > > 1 mm plywood. Using the program "Unfold", I've developed the
              > > flattened shape of the bilge panels and I'm very anxious to see
              how
              > > it fits the model. If it's ok, this would be a great bonus for me
              > > because, given my tremendously cramped working space, I would
              have
              > > pre-build everything in advance. No way to make cardboard
              patterns
              > or
              > > other such amenities.
              > > I've a question for those who have built or are building a sheet
              > ply
              > > Chebacco: how difficult really is to wrap the bilge panels in
              > place?
              > > Did you use hot water, vapor, windlasses, or so on?
              > > Another question: how did you cut the stem bevel? Did you took
              the
              > > angle from the plans, or what?
              > > Any suggestions, warning?
              > > Thanks and best, Pippo
            • Giuseppe 'Pippo' Bianco
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 31, 2001
                Thanks Jamie.
                Our panels are 2' longer and 1' wider than yours. I agree that the
                patterns don't take up more room than the finished panels (they'd
                better be identical ;-)) however manipulating almost 5 square meters
                of 12 mm plywood, i.e. almost 30 kg of weight per single sheet, is
                not feasible in a cramped space. Having the bilge panels already cut
                to shape, reasy to be fit on the hull, would be much better.
                Best, Pippo

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 31, 2001
                  Figured it was something like that. Guess I'm spoiled with my 5 acres.

                  Yes, if you could email the files? I'll post them on www.chebacco.com.

                  My email is "richard" at "spellingbusiness" dot "com"
                  (to defeat yahoo!)

                  Thanks!

                • Shorty@ShortyPen.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 31, 2001
                    I don't know pippo's situation, but I had my boat in the driveway for 3
                    days and received a notice from our local "covenant monitors".

                    A lady here in Houston ignored one of those notices (not for a boat,
                    something else), was fined, and then lost her house because she didn't
                    pay the fine.

                    On the other hand, a buddy of mine just 20 minutes away uses the
                    covenant warning letters to start fires in his fireplace.

                    For all you that can build temproary shelters, feel lucky. For Pippo --
                    can't wait to see the pictures of your construction area.

                    Shorty

                    > Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 21:23:46 -0000
                    > From: richard@...
                    > Subject: Re: Sheet ply Chebacco - bilge panels, stem bevel
                    >
                    > Pippo, just out of curiosity, why don't you build a boat shed to make
                    > your boat in? Surely any of us boat builders could put up a decent
                    > temporary building. Must be building codes? Lack of yard space? Irate
                    > natives?
                  • Giuseppe 'Pippo' Bianco
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 31, 2001
                      Shorty, my "construction area" is my 1-car garage, less than 3 m wide
                      and 7 m long...
                      Best, Pippo