Re: [bolger] Aluminum Teal started

  • Michael Neverdosky
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2001
      curtisbetts@... wrote:

      > Yesterday I picked up a sheet of 1/8" aluminum "5086" and started to
      > build Teal.

      Great!

      > But, aluminum doesn't always come in 4x8 sheets. The best price I
      > got was from a distributor who handles 6x20 sheets. And they had one
      > in the warehouse cut to 6x14. So I had them cut 2 16" x 14' pieces
      > for the gunwales, leaving 40" x 14' for the bottom and everything
      > else. Cost: almost $400. The 14' panels let me stretch the boat
      > out from 12' to around 13.5', on the same beam. Less than
      > Windsprint's 16' though.

      You can get AL in 6' x longer than any boat you want to build.
      The AL comes from the mill in a coil that is typically from 10,000 lbs
      20,000 lbs. A cut to length line is then used to uncoil, straighten,
      flatten,
      cut and stack the sheets. This same machine will label and apply
      protective
      sheet if desired.
      I used to fix these machines (and many others) for a living. :-))

      > Now to find a welder...

      Look for a 250 amp, industrial MIG welder, preferably with a spool gun.
      These are not cheap ($2000 to $4000) but you can sell the machine and
      get
      your money back after finishing the project.
      Oh yes, get an electronic welding helmet, there are soooooo nice to use.
      :-))

      HAVE FUN

      michael