Re: [bolger] Re: Cartopper/Sea Bird construction question

  • Jeff Blunck
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 25 2:03 PM
      Wow, I thought I was the only one putting screws on the wrong side. I've
      done that twice already on two different boats.

      When putting the front of my Tennessee together, I used 1x4 stock on the
      bottom of the frames, with about the equivalent size on the tops (cut down
      1x6 stock) with 1x2 on the sides. The frames still bowed in the middle when
      I put the sides on. I ended up having to force several 1x2s lengthwise
      between the frames to keep them aligned. I like your idea of using
      temporary 2x4 stock until the deck and bottom pieces are attached. I just
      hope I can remember on the next boat.

      Funny thing about it all was that it took several days for the bows to show
      up! That night as the epoxy was setting after attaching the sides, all the
      measurements and to the eye everything was perfect. Two days later when I
      went to fillet and tape the seams, it was fairly obvious what had happened.

      Jeff