AS19?

  • Giuseppe 'Pippo' Bianco
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2001
      Folks, first of all thanks a lot for your great support and
      suggestions. To summarize it all, my "revised requirements" are
      exactly the same as before (which eventually led me to choose a
      Micro), but with the added requirement of shoal draft and possibility
      of beaching on a sandy shore. "Boatyard" requirements are 20' maximum
      lenght, and less than 2 m (6'8") maximum beam, otherwise I couldn't
      use my garage to build.
      Now, the AS19 seems to fit the bill nicely. A fierce opponent is the
      NIS 18' by Bruce Kirby, which however sports a quite complex rig (the
      specs call for a carbon fiber mast and a fully battened main), a
      complex centerboard arrangement, and a quite elaborated cabin design.
      The Tiki 21 is ok, but looks more complex and fiddly to set up.
      I've one question for those who have seen or know more about the
      AS19: how many people could the boat take aboard for daysailing
      without being too cramped? Is the cockpit comfortable?
      Best, Pippo
    • cpcorreia@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2001
        Pippo,

        Have you looked at the 19' Small Ohio Sharpie, found in Ruel Parker's, "The
        Sharpie Book." Parker himself built one of these amoung the many boats he
        has built and said, "I Found the boat to be quite fast and weatherly, and as
        perfectly balanced as any I have ever sailed." She will carry a thousand
        pounds of weight. He metions that she still sails well with 7 or 8 people.
        A removable Dog house could be made to make a small camp cruiser. He claims
        that the boat is very simple to build, but pehaps he is not comparing these
        boats to Bolger boxes. It is very pleasing to the eye. There are several
        options for the rig. The sprit rigged cat ketch looks just awesome, with the
        added feature of being able to move one of the masts rearward converting it
        to something of a sloop. I guess this would need to be done at shore, but
        would allow sailing in heavy winds still perfectly balanced and safe. The
        LOA is 19' 5.5", beam is 5' 8", and the draft is 6.75". Just a beautiful
        small boat, that seems to fit what you are looking for. If you are
        interested I could try and scan in a couple of the relevevant pages from the
        book. I trust that this wouldn't violate any copyrights, at least not
        significantly.

        Charles C., hoping to finish up my folding schooner this summer.
      • zacee@themail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2001
          >Have you looked at the 19' Small Ohio Sharpie, found in Ruel Parker's,
          >"The
          >
          >Sharpie Book." Parker himself built one of these amoung the many boats
          >he
          >
          >has built and said, "I Found the boat to be quite fast and weatherly,
          >and as
          >
          >perfectly balanced as any I have ever sailed." She will carry a
          >thousand
          >
          >pounds of weight. He metions that she still sails well with 7 or 8
          >people.
          >
          >A removable Dog house could be made to make a small camp cruiser. He
          >claims
          >
          >that the boat is very simple to build, but pehaps he is not comparing
          >these
          >
          >boats to Bolger boxes. It is very pleasing to the eye. There are
          >several
          >
          >options for the rig. The sprit rigged cat ketch looks just awesome,
          >with the
          >
          >added feature of being able to move one of the masts rearward converting
          >it
          >
          >to something of a sloop. I guess this would need to be done at shore,
          >but
          >
          >would allow sailing in heavy winds still perfectly balanced and safe.
          >The
          >
          >LOA is 19' 5.5", beam is 5' 8", and the draft is 6.75". Just a
          >beautiful
          >
          >small boat, that seems to fit what you are looking for. If you are
          >
          >interested I could try and scan in a couple of the relevevant pages from
          >the
          >
          >book. I trust that this wouldn't violate any copyrights, at least not
          >
          >significantly.
          >

          >Charles C., hoping to finish up my folding schooner this summer.
          >

          >Bolger rules!!!
          >
          >- no cursing, flaming, trolling, or spamming
          >
          >- no flogging dead horses
          >
          >- add something: take "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.
          >
          >- stay on topic and punctuate

          >- To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
          >01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
          >

          >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to <a
          >href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/"
          >target="_new">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/</a>
          TheMail.com - Full featured premium email you can count on.
          Sign-up today at http://www.themail.com/
        • zacee@themail.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2001

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4, 2001
              Hi Chuck, nice to hear from you. How are you doing?
              I like very much Reuel Parker's designs (the Terrapin 21 is
              beautiful, and the Terrapin 34 is superb) but they look a bit too
              much work to build. In that kind of boats I also considered B&B's
              Core Sound 20, which is similar to the Ohio Sharpie. On different
              tastes, another interesting boat is Michalak's AF2. Maybe there are
              too many available options around...
              Anyway, the AS19 is still leading my own competition at this moment.
              The way is looks is a bit particular, but than all square boats look
              more or less that way. If I had to base my decision on looks only,
              then I'd go for Oughtred's Eun Na Mara, or for an even more classic
              boat (like the ones in the Wooden Boat store)...
              Best

              Pippo