[bolger] Time out, please!

  • Matthew Long
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 19, 1999
      I am new to this group, though I have been on the Bolgerlist for a while, but I would like to make a couple of comments and a plea:

      First of all, I have to give credit to Bernie Wolfard of the old Common Sense Designs for the encouragement he gave me when I started this whole boat building thing a few years ago. When I was hungry for information, he helped with his web site and newsletter and in several lengthy e-mail responses to neophyte questions. Whatever his failings in his dealings with PB&F, I believe that he was and remains a fellow traveler in dreams of boats.

      Second, having had the great pleasure of spending some time with both Mr. Bolger and Ms. Altenberger at the boat design seminar in New Hampshire last summer (I am the Storm Petrel guy from lunch), I know how passionate both of them are about designing real boats for real people. That passion, in my case and many others, is what brought me to boatbuilding in the first place.

      All I ask is that we not let this list degenerate into a rehashing of past wrongs, actual or perceived, instead of an exciting and creative discussion of what really interests us all--designing and building boats!

      My two francs worth (I am a French teacher),

      Matthew

      ---
      Matthew Long & Agnes Peillet
      Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, USA
      Visit our homepage & the Bolger Brick "Tetard" pages at:
      http://www.gis.net/~owlnmole

    • Behrendt, Tom
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 20, 1999
        Amen!

        With all due respect to Messrs. Bolger and Leo, the AS29 discussion is in grave
        danger of degenerating into a flamewar. It's not even a queustion of "who
        started it", when things heat up to the point where the list moderator has to
        step in, then it's time to graciously cease and desist, and move any further
        commentary to private e-mail if you feel that it is neccesary. Let's get our
        discussion back to where it belongs, boats and boatbuilding, and lets continue
        to give warm welcome and consideration to all, and let's be especially
        grateful that Mr. Bolger has decided to participate in our ramblings.

        My two clams (francs and cents being in short supply, I've sent most of mine to
        System 3),

        Tom B.
      • Thomas Cole
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 20, 1999
          Well said Matthew, I was a Bolger boat fan several years befor I knew
          his name.
          Texas Dory Boat Plans. The tittle block were blanked out. I was
          instantly drawn to the Bolger boats. I could build one of those even,
          in less than a lifetime. When hungry for dreaming material I would pick
          up a woodeboat magazine at the book store while the(now x) wife was
          shoping. Then there she was, the perfect escape machine AS-29(for me
          she was breathtaking) And a nice write up on Mr Bolger. Where to get
          info CSD. I signed up for the CSD newsletter and Wooden Boat. I enjoyed
          the newsletters droped WB after the first year (not enough Bolger style
          boats). Bernie wrote that Payson's books were a must read. Bought
          Instant Boats & New Instant Boats ,a very good read. Bernie wrote that
          Messing about in Boats was a good source for Bolger Boat info. Ordered
          that, wanderful and twice a month. Built a Teal from Paysons instant
          boats. Ordered the birdwatcher plans then whale watcher plans.Then
          bought Boats with an open mind(great)Then bought AS-29 plans. Anyway to
          make a short story longer. Bernie supplyed a fairly steady stream of
          dream building info or where to get info. I am thankful and wish him
          the best. Also glad to see his name on the first page of the members
          list of this forum. No I have not built the AS-29 I no longer need to
          escape, remember, she is now an X.
          This must be a form of addiction.
          The more I read and study drawings about Bolger boats the more I want.
          Now that I know That I can deal with him directly I think I will order
          Mr Bolgers updated book. If only I could clic up a stamped envelope..
          I only know 1 other person that has built his own boat,a stip canoe. So
          this forum is a great fix for my addiction. Plus I hear rumors that
          there might be a messabout on the lake I live on.......
          Tom Cole
          Sailing Anna-Lynn a S-t-r-e-a-c-h-e-d Micro
          Washita Point
          Lake Texoma
          Kingston,Oklahoma,USA

          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=1270